Monday, 9 October 2017

Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu



Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu
Published September 21, 2017 by Hodder
Source: Hachette AU
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: Vivian Carter is fed up. Fed up with her high school teachers who think the football team can do no wrong. Fed up with sexist dress codes, hallway harassment and gross comments from guys during class. But most of all, Viv Carter is fed up with always following the rules.
Viv's mum was a tough-as-nails, punk rock Riot Grrrl in the '90s, and now Viv takes a page from her mother's past and creates Moxie, a feminist zine that she distributes anonymously to her classmates. She's just blowing off steam, but other girls respond and spread the Moxie message. As Viv forges friendships with other young women across the divides of cliques and popularity rankings, she realises that what she has started is nothing short of a girl revolution.

Sixteen year old Vivian Carton lives in East Rockport, Texas, a small town that loves football. She and her mum have lived just down the street from her grandparents, ever since her father died when she was a baby.  Viv knows her mother was a Riot Grrrl when she was a teen, she keeps a collection of zines from that era, and soon Viv finds herself inspired to created a zine of her own when she realises she's fed up of the sexism displayed at her high school.

I've been looking forward to Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu for months and it did not disappoint! Vivian is a fantastic main character, one I'm sure a lot of teens will easily relate to. She's one of the good girls, but she's far from perfect. She often finds herself wanting to do better, to stick up for someone or to ask the new girl to sit with them; but she doesn't act on those thoughts so as not to draw any negative attention. It's just the way her school is. But over the course of the story, Viv does start talking to other kids in her school, befriending the new girl, Lucy; chatting with new boy, Seth. And starting a zine when females at her school are targeted by male classmates and the administration.

I loved the exploration of female friendships and how the story didn't take the typical route. Viv has to balance her newfound friendship with Lucy with the relationship she shares with her best friend, Claudia. A lot of YA books would have made this into a major drama, but in Moxie it's portrayed in a realistic way. The same goes for Viv's relationship with Seth, it made her conscious of not ditching her friends in order to spend every moment with him.

Another relationship that was wonderful was between Viv and her mum. They're close, and her mum is pretty relaxed, but she's also not the girl she was in the 90s. It was understandable that Viv would feel resentful and cautious in regards to her mum dating again and I thought this was well done.

There's a strong focus on intersectional feminism with black girls at the school speaking up and making sure they are included in the movement. Again, Viv wasn't perfect and was still learning what it means to be a feminist, and I love that this was included because it's something often left out of feminist discussions.

Ableist language: dumb, crazy.

Moxie is the book teens need to be reading. It's inspiring, it's moving, it's relevant. It's definitely found it's way onto my list of favourite books!

Thank you to Hachette for my copy.


Cover design: no credit given in the book.

I've done nails for one of Jennifer's previous books, The Truth About Alice, and knew I wanted to do nails as soon as I saw this awesome pink cover! Because of the hand on the cover, I decide to paint my own nails for a change - but I also did a set of false nails too. I used black eyeliner to draw the stars on my arm at the end.

You can watch the video below or on my YouTube channel, Cook Read Create.








1 comment:

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox