Wednesday, 16 August 2017

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

*Scroll down for a link to my video review


Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Published May 18, 2017 by Harper Collins
Source: purchased the physical copy and the audio book
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: Eleanor Oliphant leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend.
Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything.
One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself. Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted – while searching for the courage to face the dark corners she’s avoided all her life.
Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than… fine?

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is Gail Honeyman's debut novel. Set in Glasgow, we meet twenty-nine-year old Eleanor. Eleanor works as a finance clerk for a graphic design company. Eleanor has a very routine-bound life: she goes to work, eats very similar meals each day, speaks to her mother on the phone on Wednesday evenings, and each weekend she spends her time somewhere between sober and drunk. Then Monday finally comes around and her week repeats itself. Her world is very small, she has no friends, and she's incredibly lonely. But if you asked her how she was, she'd tell you she was fine.

Clearly Eleanor is anything but fine. She has depression and won't acknowledge some aspects of her former life, and therefore is quite an unreliable narrator. I was captivated by her voice from the first page, I could hear her clearly and was immediately intrigued. Honeyman has developed her character so well, with layer upon layer of detail. Her quirks, mannerisms, and habits were revealed via her daily life and interactions with those around her. I found her easy to relate to and also felt extremely protective of her.

The relationships in this story were the focus, particularly the growing friendship between Eleanor and her new co-worker, Raymond Gibbons. Eleanor's reluctance to interact with Raymond was understandable, and highlighted her feelings on other humans. Eleanor is very judgemental, often seeing other people as unintelligent. She's also very critical of appearances, even though she dislikes being judged for her own appearance as she has some facial scarring from a childhood incident.

Initially I didn't know the setting was Glasgow, I had wrongly assumed England, possibly London, as Eleanor frequents places like Tesco. But 46 pages in I realised my mistake and from then on I could easily imagine the voices with Scottish accents.

There's a perfect balance of humour and heartbreak in Eleanor's story. While I spent a lot of it clutching at my heart, sobbing, and trying to get my breathing under control, I often found myself laughing aloud at Eleanor's jokes and mannerisms. The friendship made my heart very happy, and I adored seeing Eleanor's life improve.



On a personal note, I found myself relating to quite a few aspects of this story. I like routine so I understood Eleanor's need for it. I also get eczema on my hands so I found it to be a visceral experience as my hands were as red and sore as Eleanor's because I read this during winter. Also, Raymond's mother reminded me of my English mum and I adored her scenes. And I loved Eleanor's immense vocabulary, I must have written down at least thirty words that I want to look up in the dictionary.

The pacing was perfectly done, with events acting as catalysts to slowly introduce change into Eleanor's rigid, solitary lifestyle. Slowly, her world starts to widen, causing her long-held assumptions and delusions to be examined, leading up to a heartbreaking climax, followed by a satisfying resolution.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is a sensitive exploration of loneliness, grief, mental health, and survival. Eleanor's voice is captivating and her story is compelling. I loved this book so much that immediately after finishing the library copy, I went out and bought it in paperback and audio book via Audible, then ended up reading it three times in a row over the course of three weeks. I hope you love this beautiful, impressive, debut as much as I do.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful review, Mands! <3 I seriously think this one will hit close to home for one of my best friends, but I'm not sure if she'd want to read it since she's more of a fantasy person. But. I'm so intrigued by this title, it has been EVERYWHERE! And I want to read it, but I'm also a bit scared because I'm sure it's going to be one of those books that deeply affects you, and I don't know if I'm ready for it. Thanks for another great review, love the photos (holy - look at all those post-its!!!).

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox