Tuesday, 13 June 2017

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven





All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Published January 2015
Source: library
Rating: 4 stars

From the blurb: Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.
Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister's recent death.
When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it's unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the 'natural wonders' of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It's only with Violet that Finch can be himself - a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who's not such a freak after all. And it's only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet's world grows, Finch's begins to shrink. 

All the Bright Places is Jennifer Niven's debut novel and it's one I've known about since before it's release, yet it took me until this year to read it. Perhaps I knew how it would make me feel and had to wait until the right time.

Told via dual narrative, the story revolves around two teens: Finch and Violet. They are bought together by the idea of death, but become friends because they both want to protect the other. They bond during a school project and slowly get to know one another, even though there are secrets being kept.

All the Bright Places will tap straight into your emotions and leave you feeling overwhelmed. I was sure I knew what was coming and still I cried and felt heartbroken. It was beautifully told, sensitively explored, and all the more real knowing that Niven wrote it based on her own teenage years.


Hand-lettering and illustrations: Sarah Watts 
Jacket photographs: Neil Fletcher and Matthew Ward/Getty Images

This is such a lovely cover and one that is really memorable. I knew I wanted to paint a set as a gift for Jennifer and I was able to give them to her when she was in Australia for the Sydney Writer's Festival.





1 comment:

  1. Nice review and nail art to go along with it too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox