Monday, 29 May 2017

My Life as a Hashtag by Gabrielle Williams




My Life as a Hashtag by Gabrielle Williams
Published May 24, 2017 by Allen & Unwin
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: What’s a girl to do when her parents have split up; her mum’s trawling Tinder; and one of her best friends has decided not to invite her to the biggest party of the year, which she then has to watch unfold on everyone else’s social media?
If you’re a girl called MC, you get mad as hell, that’s what you do.
But what begins as one girl’s private, no-holds-barred rant soon snowballs in the most public way possible.

For most of April and the beginning of March I was in a reading slump. It's not something that occurs often for me, but I completely lost interest in reading. Books didn't hold my attention, I felt restless whenever I tried to read, so I gave up (with the exception of audio books while driving, but these are usually non-fiction so very different to my standard fare of YA). Then I picked up My Life as a Hashtag by Gabrielle Williams, her fourth YA novel, and I could not put it down! I can't describe how good it felt to be reading again and to find myself completely immersed in the story.

Marie-Claude, better known as MC, lives with her mum and older brother. Her dad moved out when her parents separated and neither parent is dealing with this as well as they could. Her brother, Harley, is barely talking, and one of her friends, Anouk, has baggsed the boy MC likes. MC rediscovers her old tumblr account, something she started when she changed schools and felt like an outsider. Unfortunately, the account gets discovered and her life changes in a major way.

I was captivated by MC's personality right from the start. First we're shown a snapshot of her life, she and Harley have grown up with Yumi and Wilder, all of them are close. Then we jump forward seven months and while MC and Yumi are still besties, Harley and Wilder no longer hang out. MC is trying to deal with her home life as best she can, but deep down she wishes her parents were still together, especially as her relationship with her father has changed since the split.

I loved the exploration of female friendships and think teens will find this something easy to relate to, but it also made me nostalgic for my high school years so parents will be just as likely to relate. While  the core group of five girls get along well together, there are pairs and trios that tend to spend more time together, and within the group there is tension and rivalry that only MC seems to notice. Kids are now growing up with social media in a way no other generation has experienced. It's easier for them to keep in touch, but it's also a way for them to see what they're missing out on, as well as being another alternative way to carry out bullying.

The way the events spiral in this story were both captivating and scary. This is what happens these days, but I'm sure most people think it could never happen to them. And while this was a perfect example of what might get someone in trouble online, the story never felt preachy. It was realistic, both in the process and the outcome, and I think teens will appreciate that.

My Life as a Hashtag is extremely timely and relevant, the perfect read for teens and adults.


Cover design: Debra Billson

Gabrielle Williams was part of the Sydney Writer's Festival School Days program this year and contacted me to get her nails done for her week here. It was an absolute treat to meet one of my favourite authors and paint her nails!


Prior to painting Gab's nails, I'd had a play at home, attempting a gradient, then covering that up with more of an abstract look, before finally settling on the gradient when doing Gab's nails.



I gave Gab the set I'd painted and she put them on display her Kinokuniya launch night, where she was interviewed by Kirsty Eager. It was a fun and entertaining night and so wonderful to see authors supporting each other.



3 comments:

  1. Nice review on the book and the nail art is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I definitely need to read this one, the friendship aspect and integrating the impact of social media makes it sound really relevant. Gorgeous nails for it as well :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mands, thanks so much. What a gorgeous review. I must say I'm especially chuffed that I broke your reading slump! And those nails you painted for me - well, wow. Just wow. And how good did they look, enlarged for the Sydney Writers Festival! I hope you've getting lots of people coming to you to get their nails done, because you are a rare talent xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox