Monday, 5 December 2016

Lobsters by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison



Lobsters by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison
Published June 2014 by Chicken House
Source: purchased
Rating: 3 stars

From the blurb: Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.

I love #UKYA as much as I #LoveOzYA so when I saw friends saying Lobsters was hilarious, I knew I had to read it. While I enjoyed it overall, the story felt a little forced and I definitely didn't find myself laughing out loud. My main issue is that stories that revolve around miscommunication annoy me to no end. When the plot could be solved by a character saying one short sentence, I lose all belief in the story. Sam and Hannah's problems could have been cut short as soon as they met after the party, but instead they're prolonged for the rest of the book. There was also lot of unnecessary drama and that never makes for a fun read.

Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood for this book, and I wouldn't mind giving it another go one day.

Ableist language: mental.


Cover design: Studio Helen

This is such a fun cover and suits the story perfectly.

I started by sponging on three green nail polishes: Barry M Mint Green, CG Higlight of my Summer and CG Too Yacht to Handle, I sponged on white polish for the clouds. I used acrylic paint for the lobsters and the daisies.




2 comments:

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox