Wednesday, 9 November 2016

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon



The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Published November 1, 2016 by Random House
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 stars

From the blurb: Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

The Sun is Also a Star is Nicola Yoon's second novel and once I was done I immediately knew I was going to have to read her debut because she writes beautifully.

This is a story of two New York teens who meet on a very important day. For Natasha it's her last day in New York before she and her family are deported. For Daniel it's the day he interviews for college. Neither are happy with the way their day is going, until their chance meeting occurs.

The author has created two very distinct and detailed characters in Natasha and Daniel, and I enjoyed getting to know them over the course of their day. In terms of the timeline we don't get to spend much time with them, but their histories and their current problems are all conveyed seamlessly.

While the romance felt a touch unbelievable, I didn't actually want to be cynical about it because it does happen. There are plenty of people who fall in love quickly, especially teenagers. And, it was nice for the boy to be the one head over heels and for the girl to be reluctant. It was easy to see why Daniel would be so in love with the idea of love at first sight. He's a poet, he's a dreamer, he's optimistic. And learning more about Natasha's parents made her disbelief understandable.

Because of the short timeline there was a sense of urgency with the story, especially with the threat of deportation looming over Natasha. But the story never felt rushed, it simply moved at a steady pace and I found myself easily swept up in their tale.

The topics covered were easy to relate to and timely, especially in regards to Natasha's family. This is the second book I've read this month regarding US immigrants facing deportation and I feel we'll see more stories like this in the future. Daniel's story is perfect for teens who are unsure about their future. It was also wonderful to have two racially diverse main characters, each dealing with their own familial expectations and cultures.

The Sun is Also a Star is a clever, beautifully written story of two teens and their chance encounter. It's endearing, hopeful, and a reminder to make the most out of every day.

Ableist language: dumb, freak, crazy, lame, idiot, insane.

Thank you to Random House Aus for my review copy.


Cover art: Dominique Falla
Cover design: Elaine C. Damasco

Nicola Yoon has such beautiful book covers, and the making of this one is so clever and fascinating. You can check out Dominique's video here.

I used a base of white polish and then acrylic paint for all the lines.




2 comments:

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox