Tuesday, 20 September 2016

To All the Book Covers I've Loved Before


Earlier this month I was interviewed by the wonderful Jennifer Wong, creator and presenter of ABC Bookish. Jen and her lovely producer/director Carmen caught up with me before YAFanFest to talk about books, bookish manicures, and book covers. It was a really fun experience and it was great to showcase some of my favourite book covers. I get a lot of love from authors and the book community but I wouldn't be able to paint bookish manicures if it weren't for the people that create book covers.




The episode of Bookish I'm in is available today, so to tie in with that I thought I'd highlight some of my favourite cover designers and illustrators.

A book featured in my interview is The Flywheel by Erin Gough. I adore covers like this because they give me a lot to work with. This cover is beautifully illustrated by Amy Borrell.


One of the first bookish manicures I did was for Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil. I loved the cover the moment I saw it. The cover was designed by Stephanie Spartels of Studio Spartels. Stephanie creates some of the best Aussie YA covers, another fave of mine is The Yearbook Committee.



Astred Hicks of Design Cherry is an amazing cover designer. She worked on Cracked by Clare Strahan, a cover I enjoyed recreating.


Another wonderful Aussie YA title is The Minnow by Diana Sweeney. It has one of my favourite covers, illustrated by Katie Hartnett. It's so atmospheric and I loved painting it.


Lisa Perrin of Made by Perrin is one of my favouite illustrators. Everything she does is beautiful and is instantly recognisable as hers. I will automatically buy any book she works on. I adore both The Muse by Jessie Burton and Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke.



Leo Nickolls creates amazing book covers, I see them and immediately want to turn them into manicures. I love his cover for Cargo by Jessica Au - you can read about the design process for that one here, and his cover for Silence is Goldfish by Annabel Pitcher.




Another illustrator/designer is Olga Grlic, she illustrated and designed the cover for You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan - this sort of cover is perfect for nail art, it's bright and bold. She also designed the cover of Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, using a beautiful illustration by Harriet Russell.



Neil Swaab is an illustrator, designer, and author. He illustrated and designed the stunning cover of I'll Be There by Holly Sloan.


Jo Hunt is the designer at UQP books, I always like her work, especially The Haunting of Lily Frost by Nova Weetman.


W.H. Chong and Imogen Stubbs at Text Publishing create some amazing covers, including The Minnow (mentioned above).

Some other designers/illustrators I like: Oliver Jeffers, Lisa Horton, and Design by Committee. I'm sure I'm forgetting many, so I'll keep this page updated or turn this into a feature.

All of these talented people inspire me so much, I get really excited to recreate their work. I love the feeling of seeing a beautifully designed cover, one that ties into the story perfectly, and knowing I must buy it immediately. Thank you for all the work you do to make books look good.


2 comments:

  1. All of the book covers look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The covers are amazing and you are one talented person!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox