Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Another Day by David Levithan



Another Day (Every Day #2) by David Levithan
Published August 2015 by Text Publishing
Source: the publisher
Rating: 3 stars

From the blurb: Every day is the same for Rhiannon. She has accepted her life, convinced herself that she deserves her distant, temperamental boyfriend, Justin. She’s even established guidelines by which to live: Don’t be too needy. Avoid upsetting him. Never get your hopes up.But one morning everything changes. Justin wants to be with her for the first time, and they share a perfect day—a perfect day Justin doesn’t remember the next morning.Confused, depressed and desperate for another great day, Rhiannon starts questioning everything. Until a stranger tells her that the Justin she spent that day with—the one who made her feel like a real person—wasn’t Justin at all. 

I read Every Day by David Levithan over three years ago, I found it completely captivating but I was also left with a lot of questions about how and why A's life is the way it is. I was expecting to have all of those questions answered in the sequel, Another Day, but instead it's a look at the same time period only through the eyes of Rhiannon.

Despite not having read Every Day recently, I didn't feel the need to re-read it in order to move onto Another Day, in fact I think some time in between is a good thing, otherwise the story might seem even more repetitive.

I really felt for Rhiannon and the way Justin treats her, I could feel how scared she always is, how his moodiness brings her down, how lonely and on edge she is. This is made worse by the fact that she has no one to talk to - Justin calls her crazy, her friends would encourage her to dump him, her older sister is away at college, and she doesn't get on with her mum and dad. No one should be with someone who they're afraid of, who uses and manipulates them. Seeing how Rhiannon lived broke my heart.

Her relationship with A is just as complicated and confusing as it was from A's point of view, only this time we get to see how Rhiannon starts falling for A, how she tries to adjust and make it work.

As a personal aside, I loved Rhi's explanation on why she's vegetarian, I mentioned this in my review of Every Day but I had to mention it again. It's spot on, succinct, and definitely sounds like the reasoning of someone who is vegetarian/vegan.

Another Day is a thought provoking story on acceptance and what people will go through to be with someone they love.

Thank you to Text Publishing for my review copy.


2 comments:

  1. It's cool that it follows a new perspective, but sorry it didn't really answer your questions from the first book. I still need to read that one!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox