Monday, 25 July 2016

Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti




Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti
Published September 2015 by Allen & Unwin
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 stars

From the blurb: Don't call them heroes. But these six Californian teens have powers that set them apart.Ethan aka Scam has a voice inside him that'll say whatever people want to hear, whether it's true or not. Which is handy, except when it isn't - like when the voice starts gabbing in the middle of a bank robbery. The only people who can help are the other Zeroes, who aren't exactly best friends these days.Enter Nate, aka Bellwether, the group's 'glorious leader.' After Scam's SOS, he pulls the scattered Zeroes back together. But when the rescue blows up in their faces, the Zeroes find themselves propelled into whirlwind encounters with ever more dangerous criminals. At the heart of the chaos they find Kelsie, who can take a crowd in the palm of her hand and tame it or let it loose as she pleases.

A year ago the Zeroes was made up of 5 teens, all of them with superpowers, but not in the traditional sense. But that was before Ethan let his alter ego, The Voice, speak for him and the group disbanded. Now it's summer in Cambria, California, and Ethan is in trouble. Luckily the Zeroes are there for him, and he finds himself caught up with a new addition, Kelsie.

I didn't know anything about Zeroes going into it, I just knew I'd left it sitting on my shelf, and I'm happy I finally read it because it's a unique take on superheroes.

Sometimes in a book with so many main characters, it can be hard to really get to each one, but in the case of Zeroes each character got sufficient time to make themselves known to the reader. I of course had my favourites - I really liked Riley, aka Flicker, a girl who is blind, but her power allows her to see via the vision of others. I really felt for Thibault, aka Anonymous, because his power is the hardest to live with. It was harder to like someone like Ethan, but by the end I could see what a hindrance his power could be and how well he's managed it so far.

The pacing was perfect, it was easy to get carried away as the action starts from the beginning of the story doesn't let up until the end. It was great to see the team work as one and each character learn more about their abilities.

Zeroes is packed full of clever characters, unique abilities, action, and adventure. I cannot wait for the sequel to see what this group gets up to next.

Thank you to Allen & Unwin for my review copy.  RRP A$19.99


Cover design: Astred Hicks, Design Cherry

I love this cover because concrete nails are always fun to do. I started with a base of pale grey polish and then sponged on two darker greys: China Glaze Elephant Walk and Butter London Full Steam Ahead.



I used acrylic paint for the zero logo and for the cracks in the concrete.





1 comment:

  1. The review was good and the nail art is so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox