Wednesday, 8 June 2016

Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke



Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
Published March 22, 2016 by Dial Books
Source: purchased
Rating: 3 stars


From the blurb:
Every story needs a hero.Every story needs a villain.Every story needs a secret.Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.What really happened?Someone knows.Someone is lying.

I bought Wink Poppy Midnight for the cover, can you blame me? The illustrations are so beautiful and atmospheric, and the story is too. Midnight and his father have moved to a property on the edge of town, now he lives near Wink Bell, a girl with lots of younger siblings, who live in a rambling property beside some woods. Previously, Midnight lived near Poppy, the girl he's loved for years. Poppy is a bully and she knows it, she revels in it. The only person she's ever loved is Leaf Bell, Wink's older brother, he was her one weakness. Midnight gets caught between the girls, he starts to fall for Wink and her enchanting stories, but he's still in love with Poppy, the girl who won't let him walk away.

It's a slow story that creeps along, but still it only took me a day to read. I got caught up in it right away and was captivated by each character and the secrets they were keeping. Wink lives life as if she's in a fairy tale, she compares real life to stories she's read and loves to read to her siblings. Midnight misses his older half-brother, and longs to be the hero that Wink sees him as. Poppy is sick of everyone around her, but enjoys having people to control.

The writing is beautiful, it was easy to picture the woods, the abandoned house, and the loft where Wink likes to read. I felt my curiosity and unease growing as the story went on. I was sure there would be a surprising revelation, I expected a twist, something shocking, something devastating. But on finishing this book I was left feeling a little confused and unsatisfied. I'm still not quite sure I know what happened between the three characters, but perhaps the author's intention was to leave the reader guessing.


Cover illustration: Lisa Perrin
Cover design: Kristin Smith

I could not wait to paint this gorgeous illustrated cover, but back/shoulder/neck/wrist pain has kept me from doing that until this week. This is my favourite sort of cover to paint and I really enjoyed it.

I started with a base of black nail polish and used acrylic paint for the details.






2 comments:

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox