Wednesday, 27 April 2016

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

To celebrate the release of The Raven King, I'm celebrating with a series of manicures to match The Raven Cycle series. You can see the previous posts here: The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue.





The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4) by Maggie Stiefvater
Published April 26, 2016
Source: purchased
Rating: 3 stars

From the blurb: All her life, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love's death. She doesn't believe in true love and never thought this would be a problem, but as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.

“He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn’t want it to be over.”

The Raven King, the final instalment in The Raven Cycle series, is finally here. I can remember finishing The Raven Boys, which I absolutely loved, and wondering where on this series would go, and what would happen when Gansey woke the sleeping Welsh king, Owen Glendower. Despite not feeling as much love for The Dream Thieves or Blue Lily, Lily Blue, I was keen to see how this series would end.

It’s been a week since the events of Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and Gansey, his merry men, and Blue, are still searching for Glendower. But all is not well in Cabeswater, and the group must act quickly if they are to protect it.

I am always happy to return to Henrietta. The small town, and the surrounding rural area, is always such a vivid setting, and it’s always a joy revisiting 300 Fox Way, a location that is just as much a part of the story as the characters.

I missed Blue, her family, and the boys, too. As readers, we’ve been with them for almost a year while on their quest, and time is now speeding up for them. The future weighs heavily on them all, for different reasons; Gansey is facing his predicted death, Ronan wants to quit school, Adam is still contemplating graduating and going far away, and Blue also wants to leave, but her guilt at leaving her family is crushing her need to travel the world.

As well as the regular group, there are other characters playing bigger roles: Gwenllian, Artemus, and my favourite newer addition, Henry Cheng.

Even though The Raven King is the final book, the story never felt rushed, though the momentum did start to pick up towards the end, and I found my heart starting to race. There was a lot trying to happen in this story, and I feel like some of it was left unresolved. There were also two aspects to the ending that felt very anti-climatic after everything the group has been through, one was a surprise, the other more predictable. Despite this, it was, for the most part, a satisfying end to the series.

The Raven Cycle series is clever, imaginative, and magical. It’s a story you’ll want to be a part of because you’ll get to hang out with a great set of characters, join them on their journey, and experience their loyal and true friendship.



I think this is my favourite cover, after The Raven Boys cover, and I enjoyed painting it, too. 






1 comment:

  1. The nail art is gorgeous and so mysterious looking too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox