Tuesday, 12 April 2016

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King is coming! So, I thought I'd do a series of manicures to march the covers of the The Raven Cycle series, starting with The Raven Boys. Here's my review from 2012:





The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
Published 2012 by Scholastic
Source: the publisher + purchased a copy
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.
His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul whose emotions range from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher who notices many things but says very little.
For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She doesn't believe in true love, and never thought this would be a problem. But as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.

I loved this book! I read the first two chapters when they were released online back in April and ever since then I’d been waiting to read the rest. Like many readers, I thought this book was going to be purely about Blue's fears of kissing and therefore killing her true love, but there was so much more to this story and it all worked together well.

I liked Blue from the beginning – she’s intelligent, creative and kind. She’s had to grow up surrounded by women with physic abilities yet she always feels a bit left out as she’s the only one who cannot see the future. And as for the boys, I loved all four of them. Gansey because he’s so sure of himself (most of the time), Adam for being so sweet and proud, Noah for being so quiet and enthralled by Blue, and Ronan, though it took me some time to warm to him. These boys have such an amazing bond and watching Blue get to know them was heart warming. Despite being a close group, Maggie managed to create a bunch of wonderful and distinguishable characters.

I found the pacing perfect, I was immediately intrigued by Blue’s true love problem as well as Gansey’s need to find the ley line and Glendower. The setting was so vivid, I could picture the town, their homes, and the countryside so clearly.

I really can’t fault this book, though I do have many unanswered questions due to the events of the ending, but it’s not enough to reduce my love of this book.

The Raven Boys is an intriguing blend of contemporary fiction with a paranormal and historical element, filled with unique and lovable characters. I now want to rush off and join Blue and boys on the rest of their adventure.

Thanks to the fantastic people at Scholastic Australia for my review copy.


The covers for this series are beautiful and Scholastic should win an award for being a publisher that sticks with the cover design theme for the entire series, well done, guys!


I used a base of white nail polish and acrylic paint for the ravens.





4 comments:

  1. Great book review and the nail art is amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of Blue Lily right now. I read the first book when it was released, but decided to hold off on the next two until The Raven King was almost released. Those nails are amazing. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your nail art for this book, Mandee, and I loove this book! It's such a perfect start to this series and the books only get better and more intriguing--I hope I can squeeze a re-read before the final novel, but I doubt it. Still, I am so excited to see how this all ends and finally have all my questions answered! Wonderful review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Raven Boys!! ♥ I think The Raven King might kill us but I need it in my life all the same XD LOVE this mani Mands^^ Perfect way to get ready for Raven King!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox