Tuesday, 19 April 2016

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater


In celebration of the upcoming release of The Raven King, I'm celebrating with a series of nails to match The Raven Cycle series. You can check out Part 1, The Raven Boys, here.





The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
Published: September 2013 by Scholastic
Source: the publisher
Rating: originally 2 stars, on second reading 3 stars

From the blurb: Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.Ronan is one of the raven boys—a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface—changing everything in its wake.

I first read The Dream Thieves two and a half years ago after picking up an ARC at BEA. I was so excited for it because I loved The Raven Boys and was keen to see where the series would go. Perhaps it had been too long since I read book one, but I didn't like this nearly as much as I thought. I found it a real chore to get through, it was slow, and I didn't care for the direction the story was going in.

Fast forward to November of last year, I decided it was time to finally read Blue Lily, Lily Blue, but first I would re-read book one and two. I loved reading The Raven Boys just as much as the first time, but I still struggled with The Dream Thieves, though I did enjoy it a bit more. It was great to find out more about the Lynch family and Ronan's abilities, but I found the character of Kavinsky irritating and his story line made me lose interest.

The Gray Man's story was enough to win me back over, as was Adam's, and I'm glad I gave the book another go.

Thank you to Scholastic for my copy.


I did nails to match the cover on the day the ARC was released at BEA, you can see them here. This time I again started with a white base but used acrylic paint for Ronan and the ravens.







3 comments:

  1. Nice book review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kavinsky is such a huge part of why I loved this book but I know that he was a hard character for a lot of readers to swallow. I love the messier, more obscure characters that Stiefvater writes sometimes so this might be my favorite of the four books, so far. Lovely review, though, and nails, Mandee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally The Dream Thieves is my favorite of the series. I ADORE Ronan and loved every second of getting to know him and his past! Gorgeous many to go with it ♥

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox