Thursday, 10 March 2016

Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard



Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard
Published February 2016 by PanMacmillan
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: Caddy and Rosie have always been inseparable. But that was before Suzanne. Now Caddy wants to be more than just the quiet one. She wants something to happen.Suzanne is trying to escape her past and be someone different. Someone free.But sometimes downward spirals have a momentum of their own. An no one can break your heart like a best friend.

Sara Barnard's debut novel, Beautiful Broken Things is, well, beautiful, and completely different from what I expected. When I realised it was a story about a two best friends and a new girl I thought I could see exactly where this was going, but I was wrong. Instead, this is an intense look at the different kinds of relationships between teenage girls.

Caddy and Rosie have been friends since they were children, but as new girl Suzanne becomes a part of their lives, it changes everything. Caddy wants to be someone different, someone more like Rosie and Suzanne. She's determined to make three things happen this year: get a boyfriend, have sex, and experience a significant life event.

Caddy is naive and watching her get tangled up in Suzanne's lies was troubling, but it was so realistic. Her friendship with Suze develops quickly, Caddy feels needed by her and enjoys the attention, but Suze isn't being completely honest about her past; she's dealing with mental illness and abuse.

It was great to see parents play a large part in this story, as well as a wonderful relationship between Caddy and her older sister, Tarin, who was diagnosed with bi-polar a few years earlier.

Beautiful Broken Things is heart-wrenching, honest, relevant, and a story that a lot of teenage girls will connect with and possibly see themselves in.

Thank you to PanMacmillan for my review copy.


I love this cover, but found the green hard to match. I used 4 coats of L.A Girl to get something similar.


I used Ulta3 Tropez and acrylic paint for the lines, birds, and hands.




1 comment:

  1. The nail art was spot on with the book cover!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox