Monday, 15 February 2016

More Than This by Patrick Ness





More Than This by Patrick Ness
Published 2014 by Walker Books
Source: the publisher
Rating: 3 stars
From the blurb: A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

More Than This is the story of Seth Wearing, an English boy who moved to Portland after an incident involving his younger brother. We find him at the beach on a wintry day where he drowns and dies, only to wake up back in England, in the suburb he grew up in. He is naked apart from some bandages and finds his old town completely deserted. Via flashbacks to his life we gain insight into the events that led to the relocation to America and to his suicide.

Hmm! I feel like this is a book I probably didn't quite get, but it was definitely thought provoking and interesting. It was like a survival story, only with no one else around, and I found I had no idea where the story was going to go, which was great as it kept me in the moment and not racing ahead to figure it all out.

I enjoyed the flashbacks a lot, it's what hooked me because I wanted to know why and how and who, but I found Seth's present situation sometimes dragged, but possibly that was a good indication of what it really would have felt like, being on your own in an abandoned suburb, with no idea of the time or date.

This was definitely unique and I know Ness-fans loved it, so I'd still recommend it to all YA readers.

Thank you Walker Books for my review copy.


For this manicure I started with 2 coats of Ulta3 Black Satin and used acrylic paint for the lines and the door.






2 comments:

  1. Great review on it. The nail art looks cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read one book by Ness so far but I loved it and I am planning on reading the rest of his books, this one included^^ It definitely sounds different but I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part. The many must have taken A LOT of work with all those straight lines but you managed beautifully ♥

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox