Saturday, 31 October 2015

Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray



Lair of Dreams (The Diviners #2) by Libba Bray
Published: August 2015 by Allen & Unwin
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O'Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. Now that the world knows of her ability to 'read' objects, and therefore the past, she has become a media darling, earning the title 'America's Sweetheart Seer'. There's just one downside - a sham engagement to the irritatingly handsome Sam Lloyd.
But not everyone is so accepting of the Diviners' abilities… and across town, a mysterious sleeping sickness is spreading through Chinatown, leaving dead dreamers in its wake.
Can the Diviners descend into the slumberland and catch a killer?

Two years ago I spent the Easter long weekend reading The Diviners and loved it to pieces. Going into Lair of Dreams I thought I might not remember who everyone was or what had happened, but I needn't have worried because Libba is a spectacular writer and I found myself diving back into the world of 1920s New York City seamlessly. It was wonderful to be back with the original gang; Evie, Mablel, Theta, Jericho, Memphis, Henry, and even Sam, but also to be introduced to new characters like Ling Chan. There's also a new paranormal element haunting the subway system of New York, it was perfectly creepy and mysterious.

The plotting is spot on, I never found myself hurrying to think ahead, instead I enjoyed the situations as they happened and found the plot just as compelling as The Diviners. I adored the evolving friendship between Henry and Ling, and I found Henry to be hilarious. I'm also torn between Evie's love interests; I've always liked Jericho but Sam has grown on me.

If there's another three year gap between publication dates that is a-ok with me, because I know it'll be pos-i-tute-ly worth the wait.

Thank you to the publisher for my review copy.


I did nails for the cover of The Diviners, so I figured I would do nails for Lair of Dreams as well. I kept this one quite simple, and I think it makes a nice, subtle Halloween manicure.





I used 2 coats of Ulta3 Black Satin for the base, and acrylic paint for the detailing.




5 comments:

  1. Nice book review and nail art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandee, I looved The Diviners and I'm so glad to see that this sequel is a worthwhile follow-up. I'm definitely excited to dive into it! I also ADORE your nails, especially the one with all the flying birds! Your attention to detail is stunning! Gorgeous review and nails, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so, first of all: LOVE the nails. They are perfection ♥♥♥

    Moving on to your lovely review: I have yet to read The Diviners but it's one of those books that taunts me every time I walk past it on my bookshelf. I just KNOW I'll love it :) So of course, I *had* to see how you made out with Lair of Dreams! I'm so happy that it delivered for you Mands!! I love how you said that you didn't need to worry about remembering the details here because Libba Bray did an excellent job of bringing it all back. THAT to me is the mark of a skilled writer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun, slick entertaining way of examining American values, both in the past, and today, It also skillfully bridges the gap between adult and YA readers opening it up to a potentially massive fan base.

    Marlene
    Skagway Shore Tours Website

    ReplyDelete
  5. The information you have provided is very unusually good
    I was very helpful at all with what you have shared this
    thank you for sharing this useful information.

    Cara Supaya Tidak Sakit Saat Berhubungan Seksual Cara Menyembuhkan Gagal Jantung Obat Penyakit Ginjal Kronis Khasiat Kulit Manggis Penyebab Diabetes Melitus

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox