Wednesday, 2 September 2015

I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan




I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Published 2015 by Scholastic Australia
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: Everyone whose path you cross in life has the power to change you.
Emily believes in destiny. She's waiting for the moment her real life begins.
Sam wishes he could escape. He's spent his life being dragged from place to place by his father. But he could never abandon his little brother. 
Then everything changes. Because Sam meets Emily.
This tender story of star-crossed love is both romance and thriller, and a compelling exploration of the power of human connection. 
I received a copy of the new Aussie edition of Holly Goldberg Sloan's debut YA novel, I'll Be There, only to realise I'd purchased a second-hand copy of the original edition during my US trip two years ago. It's a book I've been meaning to read for years and I'm so glad I finally did.

This was a really beautiful story showcasing the strong bond between two brothers, Sam and Riddle Border, as they deal with their criminal father. They've spent their life moving from town to town, having to look after each other, Sam was removed from school after grade 2, and Riddle has never been. Sam is a musical prodigy, only he doesn't know it, all he knows is that he loves music.

Music is what brings Sam into Emily's life. Her father asks her to sing in the church choir, despite her lack of talent, and she and Sam make eye contact during her performance. Emily has spent her life waiting for something and she might be just what Sam and Riddle need.

Told by an omniscient narrator, we get a glimpse into the lives of so many characters, which enriched the story. It was sweet, sad, engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed this beautifully told story.

Thank you to Scholastic Australia for my review copy.


I love the original cover of this book and knew I wanted to capture it in manicure form.


I started with 2 coats of Ulta3 Soft Hydrangea.


I used acrylic paint, a fine brush, and a small piece of sponge to paint the scene.




17 comments:

  1. The cover on the book is gorgeous and you did amazing recreating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, loved this book!
    Gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book and thought the original cover art was SO striking. The nails based on it are beautiful as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit the nail on the head with this book, Mands--it's so beautiful! Gorgeous review, dearest, and AMAZING nails! Your attention to detail never fails to amaze me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like a truly beautiful story Mands! I've never heard about it before but I know I'm not always in the know when it comes to contemporaries - has it really already been two years since you came to this side of the pond and we met at BEA?! Wow...time flies! As always, gorgeous mani as well ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are beautiful! so detailled!

    Galorious
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful nails! You did a great job. I'm glad you finally got a chance to read this one and really liked it. It sounds quite good.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I didn't enjoy the story as much as you, I've always loved the cover of this book. Those nails are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks to shar information in the website,after reading i' very like'it
    cara efektif meninggikan badan dalam waktu singkat

    ReplyDelete
  10. very pleased to visit this site and joined commented in his
    obat penghilang mioma uteri tradisional

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very fond of this information thanks for sharing with us
    cara mengobati peradangan pada sendi lutut

    ReplyDelete
  12. Highly qualified information because it can provide useful info thanks.
    bahaya penyakit ginjal bocor dan cara mengobatinya

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox