Friday, 17 July 2015

Molly and Pim and the Millions of Stars by Martine Murray

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure.





Molly and Pim and the Millions of Stars by Martine Murray
Published June 24, 2015 by Text Publishing
Source: the publisher
Rating: 3 stars
From the blurb: Molly’s mother is not like other mothers: she rides a yellow bike and collects herbs and makes potions, perhaps even magical potions. Molly wants to be normal, like her friend Ellen, and watch television and eat food that comes in packets. But when Molly’s mother accidentally turns herself into a tree, Molly turns to the strange and wonderful Pim for help. And as they look for a way to rescue her mother, Molly discovers how to be happy with the oddness in her life.

I don’t read a lot of middle grade fiction, but my attention was captured as soon as I saw the lovely cover of Molly and Pim and the Millions of Stars by Martine Murray.

Molly and her mother live near the woods, along with their cat, Claudine, and their dog, Maude. Molly’s mother isn’t like the mothers of her friends at school. Her mother goes wandering in the woods at dawn to collect herbs, she makes potions, and she doesn’t like Molly to eat packaged foods. Molly just wants to be normal, like her best friend Ellen’s family.

When Molly’s mother accidentally turns herself into a tree, Molly has to fend for herself, battling the nasty and nosy neighbours, the Grimshaws, and finds she has no one to turn to, except Pim, a boy from school. Molly struggles with loneliness, believing that Ellen will judge her for being different and abandon her if she shares her problems, so instead she suffers on her own.

I liked the focus on friendship and how tough it can be for any child that feels as though they or their family are different, and how communicating can often resolve this issue, if you’re lucky to have an understanding friend like Ellen. I also enjoyed how much nature was a part of this story, it was easy to picture the woods, how green Molly’s garden must be, and the wonderful local animal life.

Molly and Pim and the Millions of Stars is a sweet and heart-warming story, perfect for children and adults too.

Note – in the story Molly makes reference to some cashew-chocolate balls that she makes to feed herself while her mother is a tree, and it was mentioned a couple of times that she shared her meal with Maude the dog. Kids, please don’t feed your dog treats containing chocolate because it’s toxic to them and can be fatal.

Thank you to Text Publishing for my review copy.



I couldn’t resist doing a manicure to match this cover illustrated by the author.



I started with a base of China Glaze Secret Peri-Wink-Le.


I used acrylic paint for the detailing.




Claudine was on the back cover, so I decided to include her as well.


I used Ulta3 Glamourpuss for the stars.



1 comment:

  1. That cover is gorgeous and I love how you translated it to the nails.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox