Monday, 16 March 2015

The Ghost's Child by Sonya Hartnett






The Ghost’s Child by Sonya Hartnett
Published 2009 by Penguin AU
Source: purchased
Rating: 4 stars

From the blurb: 'The sky was pitch, and gashed by lightning; loutish waves rose and slumped heavily as mudslides. At a moment when she was filled with desperation, Maddy opened her mouth and yelled for Feather. And half-expected him to appear, because she wanted him to so much.'

Maddy yearns for her life to be mystifying, to be as magical as a fairy story. And then one day, on the beach she meets the strangest young man she has ever seen.

The Ghost's Child is an enchanting fable about the worth of life, and the power of love.

Maddy yearns for her life to be mystifying, to be as magical as a fairy story. And then one day, on the beach she meets the strangest young man she has ever seen.
The Ghost's Child is an enchanting fable about the worth of life, and the power of love.
Matilda, better known as Maddy, discovers a young boy in her home one evening and proceeds to recount the story of her life. As a young girl she returned home from a round-the-world trip with her father and met a wild boy on a local beach. She named him Feather and fell in love.

I picked this Aussie gem of a book up at a book fair a while ago and I’m so glad I did. I’ve read two of Sonya’s other books and each left me feeling sad (one more so than the other), but this had a different tone to it. The story is whimsical, magical, beautiful,and filled with love and longing. It was a delight to read, with a bittersweet ending.

International readers: The Ghost's Child has been published overseas, so keep an eye out for it.


I love this cover so much, it’s so intricate and beautiful, and I knew I wanted the design on my nails. 


I started with a base of American Apparel Peacock.



Then I used a fine brush, a dotting tool, and acrylic paint for the detailing.





13 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous manicure! It's so intricate and the colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we lived closer so I could pay you to give me manicures ;) I am going to have to add this book to my TBR
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the whimsical feel the cover has and how well you translated that onto the nails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Sonya Hartnett's books that I've read. I'll have to see if I can find a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got about 70 pages through this once, I think, but it didn’t click with me and I gave up, though I think I read one of Sonya Hartnett’s other books… The Silver Donkey, though I remember basically nothing about it. Still, I’m glad this was a book that was brilliant for you! This is a different edition to the one I know, but it’s pretty nice (though I’m unsure about the elongated limbs)- the black and the blue tones work together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta say Mands, your nails look so much more lovely and whimsical than the cover. The detail is absolutely bonkers! I haven't heard of this one or Sonia Hartnett actually, but it sounds emotional and so lyrically beautiful. I love me some purple prose. Absolute perfection Mands <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog when I was searching up book and nails and omg, why have I never seen your blog before? I absolutely love that you take the book covers and create a nail design to go with it. It gives your blog an advantage over books that don't do that. I love all ur designs and it's now a mission of mines to look at all the covers u did nail art for lol! Awesome blog and I can't wait to see some more!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is fantastic! It looks like you not only have great taste in books but are a creative genius yourself when it comes to nails! I'm so curious about this book now, and dying to know more. I can so utterly relate to wanting life to be more magical than it is, I think I would really enjoy a story about a girl who is whimsical enough to fall in love with a boy she meets on a beach like this. I'm not sure if I'm in for a melancholy read at the moment, but a bittersweet ending can be so satisfying if it's done as well as you lead me to believe The Ghost's Child is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandee, these are stunning!

    I've only read The Midnight Zoo by Sonya Hartnett but I loved it. Very moving though. I have another one of her's lying around somewhere too...

    Excellent as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a new book and author to me but it does sound very promising!

    The nail art as always is just STUNNING!

    Thea @  Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic. Obat Pengapuran Tulang Sendi Herbal
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or
    understanding more. Obat Tumor Rahim Alami
    Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this information for
    my mission. Obat Inflamasi Jantung Obat Kardiomiopati Herbal Obat Kanker Usus Tradisional

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, Thank you for sharing with us, and we sincerely hope you will continue to update or post other articles.
    pengobatan untuk sembuhkan kerumut

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox