Thursday, 19 February 2015

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure.





Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Published by Hachette AU
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 stars

From the blurb: Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.
Maybe that was always beside the point.
Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.
That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .
Is that what she’s supposed to do?
Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?
A very short review as I read this in Nov-Dec last year:

Fangirl was the first book by Rainbow that I read and I was in the minority when it came to my feelings on it because I really did not enjoy it (though I adore the cover and did nails to match!) So, when Landline showed up unexpectedly, I wasn't sure if I should give it a go but I am really glad I did.

Right from the start it was a fun read, the dialogue was snappy and reminded me so much of Gilmore Girls, I imagined the characters all as fast-talking people and found it very, very entertaining. I especially liked the tv writer aspect as I'm always impressed with how they can make a plot/show/series come together.

I don't read a lot of adult fic, mostly because I'm not interested in reading about marriage problems, babies, divorce etc, but this story was engaging and I truly cared for Georgie and her family. I was also pleased that Rainbow didn't choose to include a love triangle, and instead focused on how complicated a marriage can be.

Another thing I loved about this story were the pop cultural references - Home Improvement, The Beatles, Rainbow Brite, and Violet Beauregarde.

I'd suggest giving Landline a go even if you're like me and you tend to ignore adult fiction. It's a fun, heartwarming read.

Thank you to Hachette AU for my review copy.


I love the simplicity of this cover as well as the grey-toned green so I had to capture it in manicure form.


I used Orly Jealous Much? for the base, it was a perfect match.



I used a fine brush and acrylic paint for the phone.






13 comments:

  1. Nice review on the book! The nails look good. That base color matches it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, cute nails! I like the simple look of it. I'm glad you liked this one. I haven't read anything by Rainbow yet, but I'm about to read Arrangements for a book club and I want to check out her others!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read tons of reviews for this one and NO ONE mentioned the pop culture references :O Rainbow Brite?!?!! ♥ THE BEATLES?! And Home Improvement, how freaking cool is that?! You made me want to read this even more now LOL I'm glad you enjoyed this one Mands and the nails to match are perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the nails, especially that green-ish gray color that looks gorgeous! I also loved this book--not my favorite Rowell but an excellent one nevertheless. Wonderful review, Mandee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you were able to enjoy this one a lot more Mands, this book isn't something I'd normally pick up, but like you I did enjoy it nonetheless. Fab review, also your nails look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that green!! I need to track it down!!!!! :D
    And I so want to read this but I keep forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, girl, I absolutely am in love with your nails. I wish I was as talented as drawing such little images on a small surface :D And so many rave reviews for this book, too. I'm glad to know that despite preferring YA reads, you were able to connect and sympathize with the characters in this one. For me, a good read is one that transcends all demographics and connects to every person regardless of age :D

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this manicure! Looks great! That color is gorgeous! I LOVED Landline as well (and omg yes all those pop culture references!!). As a married lady, I really did enjoy the marital aspect and, when I read it, I was curious how my unmarried friends would relate to it but it seems overwhelmingly that most did bc there was just SO much there that it wasn't just a "marriage problems" book.

    Also, I love this cover even more than the US one which is pretty excellent itself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to start with your nails! *_* You always manage to surprise me girl. They are beautiful and you even managed to pick the right shade. You're an artist if you ask me. Anyhow I have read Landline, actually the only Rowell's book I have read and I cannot say I enjoyed it as much as you did. So I'm glad you love it more. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, I'm so glad you liked Landline! If you liked it, I think you'll like Attachments too! It's the other adult fiction by her and definitely my fav Rowell book. (It's a much lighter tone than her other books, including this one) I totally agree about the pop culture references!

    I LOOOOOVE YOUR NAILS! The color and phone are PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was really annoyed with how Eleanor and Park ended, though I loved the rest of the book, so I’m a little hesitant, I suppose, about Rainbow Rowell’s other books. I was just really angry at the ending! Oh well. I don’t know that I would read this anyway, but I am glad it worked for you. I like how the cover is simple and yet… striking. You did a neat nail job to match! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. All information contained in this site is very interesting, so I wanted to come back to visit this blog. Thank you so much ..
    obat penghilang jerawat di punggung dan dada

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox