Monday, 1 December 2014

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Matthieu

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure.

Hey there! It's been three moths since my last post, in that time I've completed my nail technician course and I'm looking forward to getting my business going! I've also been working on other projects so I found I had little time to blog and my reading rate really dropped. Most of the time the idea of reading made me tired, so I just stopped reading for a while. I've been getting back into reading now that I have some more spare time, and it seemed appropriate to get back into blogging starting December 1. I have a bunch of reviews that I never got around to posting, so I'll share those in the weeks to come.



The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
Published June 1, 2014
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars


From the blurb: There are a lot of rumours about Alice Franklin, and it's stopped mattering whether any of them are true. 
It all started at a party, when Alice was supposedly with two guys in one night. Soon everyone at Healy High has picked a side in this game of he said/she said. Do they believe Brandon Fitzsimmons, the most popular guy at school and the football hero of Healy? Or do they believe Alice, the girl who wears too-tight T-shirts and was caught kissing Brandon in a closet a couple years before? When Brandon dies in a car crash, there are serious allegations that his death was Alice's fault. As the rumour mill spins into overdrive, Alice's small town becomes suffocating. And when the truth becomes a matter of opinion, something's got to give.

Set in Healy, Texas, The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Matthieu, is a story that revolves around a group of teens, with a strong focus on a girl named Alice Franklin. Alice’s life changed after a rumour spread that she’d slept with two boys in one night, and things only got worse when one boy, Brandon, died in a car accident.

This story is told via four narratives: Elaine O’Dea is a popular girl at Healy High, via her perspective we learn that she’s had it in for Alice because she’s afraid Brandon really likes her. Kelsie Sanders moved to Healy from Michigan a couple of years ago and she and Alice were best friends, until the rumour started and then Kelsie started ignoring Alice so she could stay cool with the popular girls. Josh Waverly was Brandon’s best mate, they played football together, hung out together, and Josh was in the car with him when the accident occurred. Kurt Morelli is considered a loner at their school, but he’s okay with that. He’s had a thing for Alice for a while, and he’s the only one to try and help her when the rest of their town wants to shame her.

I really enjoyed the four different perspectives, each sounded unique and very teen-like. I had my favourites: Kelsie and Kurt, but by the end I also felt for Elaine and Josh. Kelsie’s story made me sad, I was really angry with her mum, but Kelsie’s chapters also made me laugh, plus she loves Grease 2, so I adored her for that. Kurt was so sweet, I was so happy to see someone step up and be there for Alice, plus he knew the truth about the rumour and didn’t know what to do about it. Elaine annoyed me because of her mean girl mentality but she also had issues with her mum and eventually she won me over. Josh was interesting, it was easy to see what was going on for him, but also really sad after the truth regarding the accident is revealed.

What happens to Alice is awful, and it really makes you think about the power of words. These days we all use words without really knowing their meaning and it’s definitely something to focus on. I’ve read some really excellent books on bullying this year, including Carrie, Tease, and now The Truth About Alice. They are all really powerful and thought provoking, and so relevant these days, to both teens and adults.

Thank you to Hardie Grant Egmont for my review copy.


I really love the Aussie version of the cover, it's so pretty and intricate.


I started by painting my nails with 2 coats of Mode Cosmetics Luv-A-Lot.


I sponged on some Wet N Wild On a Trip for the purple gradient.


I used acrylic paint to outline the face and to paint the flowers, vines, and leaves.


I love how this turned out, blue on purple is a great combination and I definitely want to do more nails like this in the future.

23 comments:

  1. welcome back ! 。◕‿◕。 ☀
    i missed your bookish nails ! so much
    (love this face profile :) your nail art is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic review, Mands! This is a book I've been wanting to read since it's publication - I love that edition! Beautiful nails as always. Also, welcome back! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay, so good to see you around again!! v small but i love that you said "best mate", hehe. my american self loves that.

    as always your nails are gorg, m x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful nails; I really like your book cover. I still need to read this one! Congrats on finishing your course too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH MANDS YOU'RE BACK *big hugs*

    Anyhoo, yes, I really liked this book as well, I liked how we got to see it from different perspectives that weren't the central character--it was a pretty unique approach. Love the nails as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you are back, Too many bloggers have disappeared. I love your nails as always and congrats on completing your training. I am sure you will do well. I really loved this one was well. it was so thought provoking and sad, I only wished that there was more from Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this book has a lot of different perspectives ;)
    The nail art looks great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MAAAAAAAAAAAAANDS!!!!! Welcome back! I've missed you!
    Was stoked when you popped up on my blog, how have you been?

    Wow, you've come back with a bang, those nails are stunning!
    I loved this one too, it was so riveting and I couldn't put it down to see where Alice's life was heading. So many people let her down. I thought it was really powerful and poignant that we hear from so many other perspectives but Alice, so we already formed our own judgements about her. A bit of life imitating art I guess.

    Brilliant review Mands and so glad you're back!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing your course! The nails are gorgeous, I love the pop of white color on that one nail :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, Mands. I can't wait to read this book, especially now that you compared it with Tease. That book was something else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on finishing your course! I am happy you're back to blogging :) I love your nails too! Man, I've missed your posts. I loved The Truth About Alice too, it was a 5/5 read for me too. I felt like I came to know Alice so much, even though we don't get her pov till the end and nobody else seems to really know her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on completing your nail technician course Mandee! Your nail designs are always amazing, so I'm sure you'll have every success in what you do. This book does seem like such a heartbreaking read, but I think I would really like it, it sounds like four perspectives could be really confusing, but they work really well together! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back! & congratulations on completing your course!

    Great review and nails as always :-)

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back and CONGRATULATIONS... so happy for you :)
    You will be a wonderful nail technician :)
    This is such a lovely manicure sweetie :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Aussie cover is so much better than the US one!

    And congrats on completing your course.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on finishing your course and good luck with the new business!

    I have really enjoyed seeing all your designs, they've been a fantastic part of the reading experience so I hope you enjoy this new job of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back Mandee and Congratulations! amazing nails. I'm loving the book cover and it sounds really interesting.

    A great review! Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous mani!! I'm really curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful manicure - I personally loved this book. it was amazing. Lovely review as well! x Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely review, Mands! I hadn’t been particularly keen on the sound of this, because of the bullying aspect and I think I read a couple of negative reviews, but you wrote about it really nicely and made me regain interest. I don’t know if I’ll read it, but I know for sure two things: The Australian cover is, indeed, beautiful- I love those intricate, tendril-esq covers. SO NICE. And you recreated that really well!
    The second thing is that this book sounds like it did a good job at what it needed to face, and I’m really glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, oh! And congratulations! How fantastic that you've finished your course! I hope you're well on your way with your business, by now! xxx

      Delete
  21. This book was powerful. With multiple and ever changing POVs, it allowed the story to take a multi-dimensional spin that made us look from different angles. Because of the great writing, it was easy to follow the story while the characters stayed in their perfect personalities.

    Marlene
    Visit my site for Alaskan Brown Bear Hunts coastal

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox