Monday, 4 August 2014

Trouble by Non Pratt

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure




Trouble by Non Pratt
Published February 20, 2014 by Walker Books
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars
From the blurb: Hannah is smart and funny. She’s also fifteen and pregnant. Aaron is the new boy at school. He doesn’t want to attract attention. So why does Aaron offer to be the pretend dad to Hannah’s unborn baby?
I really like how short and succinct the blurb is for Trouble by Non Pratt. It sums up the basic plot of the book without giving too much away. But, there is a lot more to this story and I wholeheartedly adored it!

Trouble is written in a first person dual narration making it easy to get to know fifteen year olds Hannah Sheppard and Aaron Tyler immediately. Hannah lives with her mum, step-father, and younger sister, Lola. Her older step-brother, Jay, recently left home to attend university. Hannah is a fantastic sister to Lola, she also has a wonderful relationship with her Gran, who lives at Cedarfields. Aaron and his parents recently moved nearby so that his dad could take up a new teaching position at Kingsway and Aaron could attend the same school as a student. He volunteers at Cedarfields and befriends a resident, Neville. It’s clear Aaron is volunteering as penance for something that occurred at his previous school.

Trouble covers a lot of topics: teen pregnancy, family, friends, bullying, and death, just to name a few, and it does it so honestly. Both Aaron and Hannah sounded so authentically teenaged and it was great to read their thoughts on the dynamics of high school friendships, dating, sex, and families.

There’s a bit of mystery surrounding Hannah’s pregnancy and Aaron’s past. I found Hannah’s story easy to figure out and guessed the father immediately, but Aaron’s story was more intricate, and so sad, too. I loved both main characters, but Aaron really shone as a good guy. He was so protective of Hannah, but not in that stereotypical aggressive way, instead he was clever, thoughtful, and kind.

Trouble is a story perfect for teens and adults alike, it takes a close look at subjects relevant to teens today and does so in a believable and moving way. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and I especially loved how English it sounded – good UKYA fiction shares the same qualities that make me love AussieYA fiction so much.

Thank you to Walker Books for my review copy.


I LOVE this cover. I loved it from the minute I saw it and knew I would have to do nails to match, how could I pass up a chance to paint sperm on my nails? Ha!




I started with 2 coats of L.A Colors Sea Foam which is a perfect match for the cover.


Once dry I used acrylic paint and a fine brush to paint the O (or the egg) and the sperm.



This one was really quick to do and so fun. The US cover is really different but I really love it too, it has quite a vintage look to it:



19 comments:

  1. I love that you have sperm on your nails! :) Great interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fantastic review! I'm so glad you enjoyed this - I'm definitely going to have to pick up a copy soon! Beautiful manicure also. :) I only just saw the US cover for the first time the other day, and while I like the feel to it, I think I'm going to have to say that I prefer the UK/Aus edition as it's much bolder and more unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this and I requested it a while ago but it never showed up :( Oh well I may read it one day. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I think YA novels should cover important subjects like this more often. But of course it's controversial! Great nails as always

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad that YA these days seems to be covering subjects that were previously taboo, and I love your manicure as well. I really love that aqua colour you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard too much about this book, but it sounds great! *adds to TBR list*

    Love your nails! That cover translates really well to nail art.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely agree that a good British novel is just as good as an Aussie one. I wouldn't have looked twice at this, mostly because I avoid teen pregnancy novels, but I loved Zarr's novel on the subject as well as Small Damages so I know if I give this a try I'm likely to adore it. Definitely adding this to my TBR--and I loove your nails! It just occurred to me that it must be so difficult to find matching colors to fit every cover exactly and yet you manage to do it every time. You're amazing, Mandee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of this book but now I'm really curious about the story. I really love the cover and your nails look so fabulous! I like that the blurb of the story pretty much is all the story is about but that even so there is so much more. I love when books are like that. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! Adding it to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the nail sperm. :D I also agree that UKYA can often carry the same tone as Aussie YA. I bought this book recently and look forward to reading it soon, even though the storyline isn't something that I'd normally be drawn to. I'm glad you were impressed, Mandee. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, this is def going on my GR tbr, you completely have me sold. Aron sounds awesome - I love that he was protective in a non aggressive way, we need more guys liked him in books. Lovely review and fantastic job with the nails! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That nail color is perfect!!!! Me want! I love blue nail polish :))
    But back to the book. I also really like this blurb. It's short and to the point without revealing much. But I don't like that the topic here is teen pregnancy. It's an issue common today and I'm glad it's tackled in YA books, but I never really connect with the main characters. It's probably that barrier or prejudice that I have but cannot get rid of. I'm really glad you loved this one. Great review, Mands :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh. OH. I love that cover! (And of course your nails are epically matched. XD) That blue though...I almost am just going to find this book just because of the cover. But also: yay for authentic teens and nice love interests. I enjoy reading about the sweet guys as well as the bad boys, so yup. *runs to goodreads*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well this certainly sounds interesting, and I loved your review, Mands- you really wrote about the book so well, and certainly perked my interest.
    I agree that the cover and blurb are pretty great- particularly the blurb. I think it's perfect for this book, and it's not often there's a blurb that seems immediately perfect like this does.

    Awesome nails, too- I love that aqua/teal colour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This books on my to-read list! I log your sperm nails, hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a really unique book and I just love the nails!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so freaking talented. The book sounds fab, added it to my list. Also, happy belated birthday, girl! Hope all is going well with you! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the nails! Love the review! I went to YALC and met the author, she did a panel about sex in YA fiction and she's absolutely hilarious. I absolutely can't wait to get to read my copy of this, especially seeing so many glowing reviews for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous nails as always! I love the cover for this, and it sounds like a really thought-provoking read. I'm always up for any story that can make me cry (my kleenex box on my nightstand is pretty much exclusively bookish sobbing kleenex). Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. JUST WOW!!!
    You truly are amazingly talented :)
    Loved the review, I need to reed this book at some point :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox