Friday, 8 August 2014

Bookish Birthday Manicure


Today is my birthday and I'm celebrating by attending two book events! Tonight I'm going to the launch of Claire Zorn's amazing new novel, The Protected. Tomorrow I'm attending a high tea featuring the three Moriarty sisters, Jaclyn, Liane, and Nicola. I thought I'd combine a birthday manicure with a bookish manicure in celebration!



On my thumb I did a nail for The Protected. I've already done a full manicure for this book, you can check it out here, but I also wanted to have one nail done like the cover for the launch. I started with 2 coats of Ulta3 Bright Me and when that was dry I used acrylic paint and a fine brush to paint Hannah's silhouette.


On my index nail I did the cover for Liane's new novel, Big Little Lies. I started with 2 coats of China Glaze First Mate. I sponged on China Glaze White Out, followed by an unnamed blue by L.A Colors, and then I used acrylic paint and a fine brush to paint the moon and the waves.


On my middle nail I did the cover for Jaclyn's book, I Have a Bed Made of Buttermilk Pancakes. I started with 2 coats of Illamasqua Load, then I used acrylic paint and a fine brush to paint the hot air balloon (balloon = birthday, right?)


On my ring nail I did the cover for Liane's novel, The Husband's Secret. I started with 2 coats of Ulta2 Lucky Bamboo. Then I sponged on China Glaze White Out, Orly Jealous, Much?, Ulta3 Tahitian Lime, BYS Baby Let's Cruise, and then used acrylic paint and a fine brush to paint the balloon (very birthday-y!)

And finally on my ring nail I did the cover for Nicola's novel, Free-Falling. I began with 2 coats of China Glaze White Out. Then I sponged on Australis Blue Tiger, Mode Cosmetics Hook Me Up, Ulta3 Soft Hydrangea, BYS Baby Let's Cruise, and BYS Steal the Limelight. I used acrylic paint and a fine brush to add the leaves.


Done! I used a lot of different polish and it took a fair while, but I really enjoyed the process.

Also, excuse the photos with my tablet - I don't own any of Liane or Nicola's books yet (I'll remedy that at the event tomorrow!), so I used images from online and the glare on the screen makes it quite difficult to see the covers - I might take new pics once I buy the physical copies.

29 comments:

  1. Happy, happy birthday! I hope you're having a wonderful day and that the launce+events are lost of fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These nails look awesome! Happy birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!! Hope you have a amazing day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! These nails are lovely and I hope your day is as well (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday my dear :) Have a lovely day.
    Your mani is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Great mani ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy B'day, Mandy! My favorite mani is the one on the pinky finger-Pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so gorgeous, I love the hot air balloon nail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANDS!
    I felt like I haven't swung by in ages, been riddled with PC issues and not internet. Bloody Telstra. I absolutely adore the maniart. See what I did there? It's so much more than just a manicure. That hot air balloon is absolutely divine, I'd love to have a bigger version. It's so beautifully whimsy.

    Have a fabulous get together, it sounds incredible and hope to hear all about it <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I think my favorite nail is the hot air balloon, but they're all gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D I love the art on your middle finger, such a cute hot air balloon :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! And Happy Birthday! Both those events sound fab. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Mands! These nails look absolutely gorgeous! I don't think that I would have the patience to do this, but the detail on each individual nail looks amazing. I hope you have a brilliant time at these events! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY , dear Amanda
    lovely nails !
    all the best !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! I hope you had fun at the events, and I love how you did your nails...mixing the various books whose authors you would see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! I think the Big Little Lies nail is my favorite. I like blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday, Mandee! I hope you had a truly spectacular one--you're one of the sweetest people I know and you deserve every happiness! :) Once again, your talent astounds me and your nails look gorgeous! I hope the event was fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAPPY BIRHTDAY!!!! <3

    I love how you created such lovely manicures with each of these book covers ;)

    xx julia

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MANDS! I wish you all the best and what's better way to enjoy your b-day than some bookish events. I really hope you'll have a great time. But as always your nails are amazing. I really admire your talent girl. Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you had a fantastic day! And amazing nails as always x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know I already wished you a Happy Birthday, but I had to stop by and do so again :) I hope you had an amazing birthday Mands with lots of bookish fun and I also hope you got spoiled plenty! Also, fantastic nails, you did a brilliant job with all of them but I think my favorite is the nail for Little Big Lies ♥ Love the blue + moon effect! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a lovely day. And wow, love the nails, my favourite it definitely the one with the hot air balloon! You are sooo talented.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah these nails!! I just love them! And I love that you did one nail for each different book. So fun! Happy Birthday!! Hope it was as awesome as your nails turned out. And that you got to read some good books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday! I actually had no idea that Liane Moriarty had two sisters who were also authors. I loved Liane Moriarty's debut and I have recently acquired all her other books, can't wait to read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy belated birthday! Those nails are absolutely fabulous! I hope you had a wonderful time at the Moriarty event - that is so cool that they were all together for a tea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday! Very cool manicure, too. I like how you mixed the covers to several books but it still looks like they go together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. HAPPY very belated BIRTHDAY!!!
    Gosh I have missed you so much on my blog and Ive missed your blog too... back now and your manicures look amazing as always :)
    LOVE this manicure.. that hot air balloon is so beautiful and the leaves are so pretty :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just popping in on your blog, Mands :) Massive (very) belated bday. Stopped at this post because I really love this mani and all the authors represented <3 Hope you are well and happy, love Nomes xo

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox