Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Every Word by Ellie Marney

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure.



Every Word (Every #2) by Ellie Marney
Published May 28, 2014 by Allen & Unwin
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 stars
From the blurb: James Mycroft has just left for London to investigate a car accident similar to the one that killed his parents seven years ago...without saying goodbye to Rachel Watts, his 'partner in crime'.
Rachel is furious and worried about his strange behaviour - not that Mycroft's ever exactly normal, but London is the scene of so many of his nightmares. So Rachel jumps on a plane to follow him...and lands straight in a whole storm of trouble.The theft of a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio, the possible murder of a rare books conservator, and the deaths of Mycroft's parents...Can Watts help Mycroft make sense of the three events - or will she lose him forever?Sparks fly when Watts and Mycroft reunite in this second sophisticated thriller about the teen sleuthing duo.
Every Word is the follow up to Aussie author Ellie Marney’s debut, Every Breath. Taking place eight weeks later, Rachel and James are now dating, but Rachel has been grounded so their time together has been limited, this doesn’t stop them from having some very heated moments.

Mycroft still hasn’t told Rachel much about his past, or the night his parents died, but they have still formed a close bond in the short time they have known each other. I love how well these two suit each other, the chemistry between them is undeniable. Not only is their plenty of sexual tension, they clearly care about each other, Rachel in particular really goes out of her way to take care of Mycroft, and she is often consumed with all the insecurities and self doubt that comes along with being a teenager in a relationship.

Mycroft’s work with Professor Walsh leads him to London and Rachel follows, thus landing both of them in trouble with some nasty crooks. The mystery surrounding this case was intriguing, fast paced, and made me extremely worried about their fate. Mycroft isn't the only one contributing to the case, Rachel plays a big part in figuring out clues and doing some solo sleuthing.

I loved the setting of Melbourne in Every Breath and I enjoyed the change in setting in this book just as much. It was clear that Marney had visited London as the story gives a descriptive tour via the eyes of Rachel. I equally loved the beautiful writing, particularly the prologue describing bush fire weather, it gave me goosebumps.

Every Word is an excellent sequel to Every Breath with more mystery, more romance, and more danger. I’m hoping Mycroft and Rachel finally get some time alone in the next book, Every Move, boy, do they deserve it!

Thank you to Allen & Unwin for my review copy.

Purchase:  A&R  /  Booktopia  /  Bookworld  /  Dymocks  /  Fishpond (intl shipping)


I didn’t do nails for Every Breath (see below) but for Every Word I decided to use the title font as inspiration.



I started with a bae of L.A Colors Color Craze Sea Siren.


Once dry I lightly sponged on some Orly Liquid Vinyl.


Easy peasy!

Eventually I did nails to match book one, Every Breath, as well!





23 comments:

  1. Great nails to match the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those nails! They look amazing. I've never heard of this series before. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh fun nails! This sounds like a really good series; glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I got Every Breath while I had the chance but I was just filled with book reviews. I love mysteries every now and then, I always find them refreshing and fun to read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this!
    Plus, your nails are amazing!
    Question: did you ever do nails to match The Infernal Devices covers? Because the covers of that trilogy are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to start this book series - it sounds like the books are a fun read. Fantastic manicure as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't really heard all that much about this series, Mands, but it does sound interesting! I love some mystery and esponage, so if I ever see it at my library I will definitely check it out and see what I think! It's really good to hear the books are only getting better, though- that's just what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those nails are gorgeous!
    I just finished Every Breath myself and pre-ordered Every Word - I hope it gets here soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a cool series. I may have to look it up from the Book Depository.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read the first book yet! Love that this one takes place so much later though - that's rare in a series, but I think it's nice to see how characters have changed over such a significant amount of time. It's a brave technique that not many authors have the chops to adopt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect nails, as usual. Love the graffiti look. I haven't read anything in this series yet but it sounds good. Will definitely have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How have I not heard of this series?! It sounds amazing! Anything Sherlock-ish and I'm sold. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An excellent sequel. That is so nice to hear. I don't recall the first book so I need to go investigate. I love Sherlock Holmes! Love the nails as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stumbled across your blog - what a cute idea! And you’re so talented. I’m in love with this concept! And I've never heard of this book but it looks really interesting.

    “The Write Things” - www.cierahorton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the nails :) I haven't read the first book in this series, I'll have to look into it more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love books that are set in Australia, I haven't had the chance to read this series yet though. Thanks for the lovely review Mands!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of this series - it sounds fantastic. I'll be adding it to my TBR pile.

    And of course the manicure is awesome!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant nails as always. And I am always finding so many books and authors through your blog that I wouldn't hear of otherwise. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Easy peasy? If you say so :) Cool idea to match the title font! This series sounds like a must-read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do love mystery, romance and suspense all wrapped up in one, and this sounds pretty exciting. Nice to see you enjoyed it, Mandee and love the nails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this sequel and that you're looking forward to the next one! And my what beautiful nails this book inspired! I seriously don't know how you do so many detailed, artistic manicures each week. I'd never want to take these off!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the rough sponging look! I love how you took inspiration from the font for this mani instead of doing the whole cover... i think the entire cover may have been too difficult to translate into a mani but this totally works :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So much nail envy! I wish I’d picked this up when I saw it the other day now! It sounds so great and knowing you liked the second as much as the first makes me want this so much! Thanks for the great review Mands!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox