Monday, 26 May 2014

The Haunting of Lily Frost by Nova Weetman

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure.





The Haunting of Lily Frost by Nova Weetman
Published April 23, 2014 by UQP
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 stars
From the blurb: When Lily Frost’s parents make her move from the only home and best friend she’s ever known to a country town, things are dire. Lily knows no one – but someone seems to know her. 
Upon entering her new attic bedroom, Lily faints. Coming to, she’s overcome by someone else’s secrets – the girl who lived there before. Determined to uncover why, she is thrown into the path of cute local boy Danny, who just happened to be the girl’s ex-boyfriend.
After Lily finds out the girl mysteriously disappeared a year ago, she discovers that the one-street town holds more twists and turns than originally meets the eye. 
For Lily, life in this small town is about to get very interesting as she finds herself seeing things she thought belonged to the dead.

I heard about a new Aussie YA novel, The Haunting of Lily Frost by Nova Weetman, during the same week that Jo, Jenna, and I decided to go on a ghost tour -  spooky, right? No, not really, but I will say that this book was scarier than the ghost tour! The ghost tour was like an evening bush walk with not-very-scary stories whereas Lily’s story gave me chills.

Fifteen year old Lily Frost lives in Melbourne with her parents and younger brother Max, until her parents decide to move them to a small town called Gideon, two hours away. From the moment Lily sees a photo of the old house she’ll be calling home she has a weird feeling, and things only get weirder for her once they move.

Lily’s story starts with a descriptive and vivid scene of her almost-drowning at age five, watched over by their next door neighbours’ German Shepherd (referred to in the book as an Alsatian). This life-changing event is a crucial link to Lily experiencing ghostly sensations once they move into the old Sarenson house. Her connection to a girl missing from the town is enforced by two key elements: water, and another German Shepherd Dog, this time belonging to Danny, the missing girl’s former boyfriend. These elements enhanced the ghostly atmosphere and kept me on edge as I read.

I immediately liked Lily, she’s outraged at having to move and leave behind her bff, Ruby Harada, and I admired her attempts to change her parents’ minds: arguing followed by the silent treatment. She’s worried about leaving Ruby because she doesn't feel as though she can make friends without her, she’s a little awkward and lacks self-confidence, and she sounded like an authentic teenager.

I also adored Ruby because she stuck by Lily, even when she was being negative and moody, and also didn't baulk at the idea of the ghost in Lily’s room. She won my heart from the moment she talked about painting each fingernail a different colour to help her decide on which colour to use.

Now, I scare easily so maybe some readers won’t find Lily’s story that scary, but for me there is something about a haunted bedroom, it has to do with falling asleep and letting your guard down. So the fact that Lily not only chose that room but also slept in it made her the bravest girl in my eyes. Each time she felt or saw something in her room, my heart would race!

This story pairs family relationships and growing up, with a thrilling paranormal element, making this a fun, entertaining, and spooky YA novel.

Thank you to the fantastic people at UQP for my review copy.

Purchase: A&R  /  Booktopia  /  Bookworld  /  Dymocks  /  Fishpond (intl shipping)


I love how atmospheric this cover is, it perfectly captures the river in Gideon.


I started with 1 coat of China Glaze White Out.


I sponged on a few shades of blue: Natio Turquoise, Picture Polish Marine, Ulta3 Berry Blue, and a green: China Glaze Starboard, layering them to match the blue-green sky of the cover.


I used acrylic paint and a fine brush to paint the moon and then the trees, Lily, and the bridge.


Finally I painted the lower quarter of each nail black, using acrylic paint.


I love having this spooky night scene on my nails, this is a mani I’ll be wearing for a few days.

29 comments:

  1. Your nails are beautiful! I can't stop staring at them I wish I could do something like that too! I loved your review too. I want to check the book out and hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mands, those nails are AMAZING! You've totally nailed (pardon the pun) the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the cover perfectly on the nails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this cover ! amazing nail art !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if I can handle this. It's sounds awesome, but I'm a huge chicken. lol Nails look awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah, this sounds really scary especially with the haunted bedroom thing! The detail in your nails is just amazing, with the one with the girl and the moon. Awesome work as usual Mands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, can I please just worship your nails right now? You have extreme talent for these stuff, pretty lady. Any plans on making it a huge business somehow? It'd be big, especially with such impressionable talent! In any case, I love the sound of this book. I am really into horror and I've been looking for one lately that would give me that fix. Lily and Ruby sound like fantastic characters and I wanna know more about their unusual relationship :)

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I scare pretty easily too, but I LOVE IT. I shouldn't enjoy being spooked out of my skin so much, but there's just something about ghost stories and horror movies that appeal to me. :D I really like the sound of this book, so thanks for drawing it to my attention. Also - and I'm pretty sure I say this every single time - YOUR NAILS. These are probably my favourite so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love scary reads, and this is one that I would totally enjoy. Love love love your nails. They are amazing as always. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was this released in the US as well? I'll look it up on Goodreads. Sounds really creepy but awesome. I like that Lily has a best friend who believes what Lily is going through and stands by her. She sounds like a great bff. Love the nails!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those nails are amazing! I haven't heard of this one before but I love the sound of it. I scare quite easily and love finding books that can actually scare me. I'd be really intrigued to see if this one would do that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I took a ghost tour of my college campus once; not scary at all! I don't scare easily when reading, but there's nothing wrong if you do. Sounds like an intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would never take it off! It's so gorgeous Mandee! I love the sound of the book too. Creepy YA is just the best! Now I have to go find myself a copy. :) Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could not handle having a haunted bedroom...That alone makes me want to read this novel. I love scary stories and reading them at night, scaring the crap out of myself. And the fact that it's Australian literature makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy moly, Mands! Your nails are so perfect that I'm legitimately in awe right now! I'm a huge fan of scary stories (especially ghost stories), and I have a thing for Aussie authors. For some reason, their books always ring a little more true for me. I must get my paws on this one! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not read a scary book in a while but this sounds kind of interesting. And I love the nails that you did with it. They match perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OKAY
    Need this book in my life ASAP. Aussie and ghosts? YES PLEASE.

    And your nails *cries* they are so GORGEOUSSSSS!

    Wonderful review, Mands!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh the ghost tours. I went on one of those once, going around all the Jack the Ripper murder scenes. It was . . . underwhelming. I was looking forward to a good scare!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love books set in Melbourne, but this one sounds super creepy. How did you get through it after having gone on a ghost tour? *shudders* Fabulous review, going to check this one out, but will be reading with the lights on.

    Those nails are amazing! The detail in the last few have been phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. An evening bush walk!! I don't know why, but that phrase seriously just made me snort. Lol. I love a good horror/ghost story, so this sounds right up my alley. I'll definitely keep my eyes out for it.

    Those nails are seriously so cool. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm, like, blown away by your talent. I can't even put a base coat on without coloring my entire finger. I love the trees and the way you nailed the girl's silhouette. Gorg!

    ReplyDelete
  21. another lovely book cover inspired mani! :) I really love the sponging you did for the night sky background. This would be a great mani for Halloween that's a bit different from typical jack o lanterns/ghosts/candy corn/spiders etc.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh yes the thought of falling asleep and being vulnerable in a haunted room terrifies me - I could never do it! Wow I love those nails - so much beautiful detail!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds creepy! I scare easily so I think this may be a daytime read for me. Lily sounds like a great character.

    A lovely review Mandee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your manicure is GORGEOUS, Mandee! I think it's my favorite so far. This story sounds mysterious and super creepy! The kind that would make me leave the light on while trying to go to sleep. Wonderful review and manicure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh such a cool and creepy cover, and love the nails to match! I could never do what you do - I can barely manage a basic manicure. Very inspiring though! I like these spooky books your'e finding.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the nails on this one, perfect! This isn't a book I've heard of before so I'm off to GoodReads to find out some more as it sounds like fun!

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  27. The nails look beautiful, I love how you did the sponged background! and the girl's hair is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I started reading this yesterday but had to stop when it got dark because I just knew
    I would freak myself out if I kept reading! It's definitely giving me the creeps, but it's also really beautifully written. Fabulous mani, Mands!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks so good, and this mani is one of my faves ever that you've done. I'm glad it was scarier than the ghost tour, it wouldn't take much haha.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox