Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure.




Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
Published 2010 by Pan Macmillan AU
Source: audio book borrowed from library / purchased a copy
Rating: 5 stars
From the blurb: Lucy is in love with Shadow, a mysterious graffiti artist.

Ed thought he was in love with Lucy, until she broke his nose.

Dylan loves Daisy, but throwing eggs at her probably wasn't the best way to show it.

Jazz and Leo are slowly encircling each other.

An intense and exhilarating 24 hours in the lives of four teenagers on the verge: of adulthood, of HSC, of finding out just who they are, and who they want to be.

Ed thought he was in love with Lucy, until she broke his nose.
Dylan loves Daisy, but throwing eggs at her probably wasn't the best way to show it.
Jazz and Leo are slowly encircling each other.
An intense and exhilarating 24 hours in the lives of four teenagers on the verge: of adulthood, of HSC, of finding out just who they are, and who they want to be.

Graffiti Moon is the story of Lucy Dervish and Ed Skye. Lucy lives at home with her parents but after a few months of fighting, her father has moved into the shed to finish writing his comedy act, giving her mum space to write her novel. Lucy loves art, particularly glass blowing and she practices this at a local studio. She’s longing to meet Shadow, a graffiti artist, and believes they’ll fall in love.

Ed lives with his mum, and up until recently he worked in a paint store with his boss and mentor, Bert. He quit school in year ten, the same year he and Lucy went on a disastrous date. Ed is Shadow, he puts his soul onto walls all around Melbourne, along with best mate Leo, also known as Poet.

These days we are spoilt for choice when looking for a contemporary YA novel to read, but often, like any genre, they can start to feel repetitive: girl meets boy, they fall in love, she deals with issues on the side. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE contemporary YA, but Graffiti Moon is refreshingly unique while still sharing a similar plotline. The major difference for me is the positive look at teenage friendships, especially when it comes to female friendships. Lucy and Jazz are best friends but have recently struck up a friendship with Daisy. Throughout the night Daisy is included in their discussions and decisions, she’s never made to feel like a third wheel. The same happens with the boys as well: Ed and Leo are best mates but Dylan is also an important part of their plans, and when Dylan needs help with Daisy, Ed and Leo are there to help him out.

Set over one long, hot night, the story is told from both Lucy and Ed’s perspectives and each have a strong, individual voice, but their lives are so similar, too.  Both are only children and want to solve their parents’ problems. Both have (or had in Ed's case) an older mentor. Both of them love art, and are intelligent, loyal friends. They are so perfect for each other which makes it all the more fun to read about how much they dislike each other at the start of the night. Their banter was entertaining and, as Bert would say, whip-smart.

Not only are Lucy and Ed amazing main characters, but their friends and family are also fully realised and so believable. I can totally imagine a guy like Leo,  embarrassed of his poetry classes but also keen to show them off to a girl he fancies. The same goes for Jazz, a wonderful, outgoing best friend, always munching on lollies and predicting the future. And Dylan, a guy who truly believes that throwing a carton of eggs at his girlfriend is a good way to show affection. Everything in this world, from the setting, to the characters, felt so real.

I first read Graffiti Moon in 2011 but I never got around to writing a review. I decided to re-read this Aussie YA gem via audio book and I loved the audio version so much that I listened to it three times in as many weeks. There are two narrators, Rebecca Macauley and Benedict Hardie, both perfectly captured the sound of these teenagers. Once I bought my paperback copy I realised that despite being unabridged there have been some changes, particularly regarding Poet’s poems, but I still think the audio is a wonderful way to experience this book.



I’ve always loved the Aussie cover of Graffiti Moon best, though the US version is pretty awesome, too.


I started with 2 coats of Ulta3 Black Satin.




Once dry I used acrylic paint and a very fine brush to paint the teeny, tiny spray can.




53 comments:

  1. So neat that you created that spray can on the nails! Looks just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of this book till now but I like the premise. Sounds like a art-filled story too. Great review. Awesome nail art! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay -- this is one of my favorite books ever. I love this version of the cover and love your manicure :)
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this book sounds really good! Of course, I want that cute yellow paint can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to read this one for awhile because everyone seems to like it. I do like books with friendship and books that take place over a limited amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I'm going to check out the audio for a "re-read!" Thanks for the tip. Striking mani and the paint can really pops. Love it and the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss, you will love it! The US version also uses Aussie narrators ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh that is an amazing nail job, Mands! I loved loved this book when I read it back in 2011. Gorgeous writing. I will have to listen to it sometime. I wonder why Cath hasn't written another book?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea how you managed so much detail into that one nail, Mandee, but I adored this book and your nail art too. It's such an experience, this book, as if you're on the streets of Australia in the night right alongside these vivid, vibrant characters. And don't even get me started on the gorgeous poetry in this -- Night Things (or is it Morning Things?) is my favorite. Lovely review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, neither do I ;) Yes, The Daytime Things, love it

      Delete
  9. I'm in awe of your detail skills!!
    Also, this book is so good!
    When I first read it I didn't think so - liked it but thought the pace was a bit off and that it was only okay- but as the years passed it sort of lingered and grew on me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so awesome! Graffiti Moon is our next Tome Travel! How long do your manicures last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, can't wait to see your photos. It depends, polish chips on me quite easily so once it chips I remove it, or I remove it to do my next mani ;)

      Delete
  11. I have to read this especially if it's Aussie lit. I'm ashamed to say I've only read one book under this genre. It's not very popular and I hope it does one day. How often do you change your nails?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under what genre, contemporary? Because that is a very popular genre!!

      And I change my polish every few days

      Delete
  12. Okay, I just found your blog and am in AWE of your manicuring abilities. That is just mindblowing. And the book sounds good, though they really had me with graffiti artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, man I totally forgot about this book! I saw so many raving reviews last year or so and I totally forgot how much I wanted to read it. Love your review reminded me why i wanted to read it in the first place. And those nails are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I added this to my TBR after your Stacking the Shelves post =) I've only ever read one other book that dealt with glass blowing and found it so unique and interesting. I look forward to reading about Lucy and her love of this particular art form. That spray can on your nails came out so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think this is the only book I've read that mentions glass blowing and it sounds really awesome!

      Delete
  15. Wow that spray can is so perfect! You’re so talented! I’ve seen a little bit about this book but the your review has kicked it right up to the top of my TBR list.
    Thanks for such a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Katie :) And I hope you get a chance to read GM soon!

      Delete
  16. I need to read this one by the end of the year. I plan to read ALLLLL the popular Aussie novels by the end of this year, in fact. Love your mani!

    Brilliant review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard so SO much about this book, I'm glad you re-read and reviewed it Mands - It reminded me that I must read it :) The characters sound truly unforgettable and I love how you said that it felt fresh! You have another gorgeous mani to go with it too ♥ awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing nail art ! as always ! love it ! black and yellow :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You already had me convinced I need to get the audio in your StS post, but now I'm even more excited to check it out! Luckily my library has the audiobook, so away I go to download! And OMG those nails! I can't believe the detail on that spray can, you are some kind of painting wizard! So lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope the US version is just as good - I've heard they use Aussie narrators but different to the ones used in our version ;)

      Aw, thanks!

      Delete
  20. You detailed everything I loved about this book beautifully, I'll have to grab it on audio because it sounds like it was done quite well and I love your amazing nails, absolutely perfection.

    A wonderful review Mandee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shaz! I hope you enjoy the audio :)

      Delete
  21. You have no idea how happy I'm to see this review. I have read this one a while ago and really loved it so I'm happy you loved it too. This such an amazing review and now I remember all the details. Ah I think I'll have to re-read it soon. Great review, Mands :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this book! & how could you possibly paint such tiny words on your nail?? lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know, they aren't the neatest lettering, that's for sure ;)

      Delete
  23. I adore this book, you have to read A Little Wanting Song if you haven't already - I like that one even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the Aus version, Chasing Charlie Duskin ;)

      Delete
  24. I've heard such great things about this book. It definitely sounds like one I'll have to try. It's interesting--I've been thinking about contemporaries a lot lately--to the point that I started working on a post I'm hoping to finish this week. Contemp has always been my go-to genre, but I agree that it has all started to feel repetitive. Anyway, Lucy and Ed both sound like great characters. I'll have to make time for this one. Great review!

    How did you do that little spray can? Seriously. That is the coolest thing ever. LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, but at least this might feel a little different for you because it's very Australian (well the Aus version is, I have no idea about the US version)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  25. This has been on my TBR pile for ages. Love the manicure you did with this. That paint can is so cute. Agree that both covers are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read it soon, T!

      Delete
  26. How do you do these nails?!? Seriously, it's incredible. I have seen this one a lot but haven't picked it up yet. After reading your review I am really eager to get my hands on this one and give it a go. I didn't realise it was set over one night, which really intrigues me. Brilliant review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do not know! I just paint :)

      Yes, yes! Try and get a copy asap!

      Delete
  27. I started reading this a few years ago but I only made it a few pages in before I gave up on it - the style of writing was just NOT going to work for me.

    But I really liked your point on supportive friendships: so often they are never entirely genuine, especially in YA. It always seems like there's going to be a catch, a fatal 'but' or that they're on a knifes edge ready to break apart when the attractive stranger winks at one girl and not the other, or someone goes to the movies with the wrong person. It's always so refreshingly nice to see a healthy friendship or relationship and that makes me so sad because we shouldn't think it's refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox