Friday, 23 May 2014

Goose by Dawn O'Porter

This post contains a review and a bookish manicure




Goose (Paper Aeroplanes #2) by Dawn O’Porter
Published May 1, 2014 by Hot Key Books
Source: the publisher
Raintg: 4 stars

From the blurb: It's a year and a half on from Paper Aeroplanes, and Renée is now living with her Aunty Jo. They even have geese, and Renée likes to sit and watch them, wondering if she'll ever find 'the One' - someone who will love her no matter what, and be there for her no matter how bad things get. She and Flo are in their final year at school, and they've got some tough choices to make - like will they go to university? And if so where - and will they go together? Renée's usual ambivalence on the matter shocks Flo, who had assumed they'd continue as they were, the best and closest of friends, forever. She feels as though she needs Renée's support more than ever, so when a handsome young boy enters Flo's life, she finds herself powerfully drawn to his kindness, and his faith. Renée and Flo's friendship will soon be tested in a way neither of them could have expected - and if Paper Aeroplanes was a book about finding friendship, Goose is the novel that explores whether it's possible to keep hold of it.

Goose by Dawn O’Porter is the sequel to Paper Aeroplanes, one and a half years on, again on the island on Guernsey.  It’s now 1997 and Renee and Flo are in their final year of high school, both girls are looking forward to leaving the island, but it turns out they each have their own idea of what it should involve.

I adored Paper Aeroplanes, it perfectly captured teenage life in the 90s as well as being honest, funny, and sad. Goose follows along in the same vein, the girls are older now so the topics in this story are also more mature and there’s a focus on what it’s like to go from being a teenager to an adult.

Renee is fed up with school and being forced to learn so Flo’s idea to head off to uni together does not appeal to her anymore. Her home life is much happier, she’s living with Aunty Jo, her nan, and a pair of geese. She’s got a job at a local pub, is making money, and finally meets her long time crush, Dean.

Flo on the other hand cannot wait to leave and envisions the pair of them going off to uni and continuing their friendship. Her home life has also improved, her brother left and she gets along with her mum a lot more. But, she cannot stop thinking of her father’s death. She goes inside a local church one day to avoid the rain and she enjoys her time there so much that she starts going regularly, joins a bible group, and meets Gordon, a local singer in a rock band that sings songs about God.

I was really happy for both girls and their living situations. Neither of them were very happy, loved, or supported in Paper Aeroplanes, so it was good to see the improvement. When it came to their love lives I knew exactly what was going to happen to each of them. As an adult I felt very nostalgic reading about their dating foibles, for teens I think it would be a great look at what they have to look forward to, ha!

The story takes a dark turn that I did not see it coming at all. I was really shocked by the event that occurs towards the end of the book. I think the way it was dealt with dampened my enjoyment of this book because I didn't quite love it as much as Paper Aeroplanes, even though I desperately wanted to. It’s too spoilery to discuss anything about it, so I’ll just say there were aspects of the recovery that I liked (forgiveness), and other aspects that made it seem like everyone involved moved on too quickly (but, people do grieve in different ways).

I’m so glad we got to re-visit Renee and Flo in Goose, it’s another true-to-life look at growing up and how friendships can change over time, especially when you’re young.

Thank you to the wonderful people at Hot Key for my review copy.


So, I was going to do nails for both books but they’re so similar, so I decided to go with Goose.


I started with a base of China Glaze White Out.


On my thumb, index, and pinky nails I used a makeup sponge to do a gradient using Bloom Cyndi and China Glaze Stone Cold.



On my middle and ring nails I used acrylic paint and a very fine brush to paint the neon orange brick walls.



20 comments:

  1. Love the brick pattern on the nails~

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing ! love it ! you are mater bookiss nail artist ! love it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing ! love it ! you are mater bookiss nail artist ! love it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you enjoyed the sequel to a book you loved. It does seem like these girls get onto happy lives. Sucks about the dark turn, though. Good thing it didn't completely spoil the read for you. Great review!

    I love the manicure. You're so artistic, Mandee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, love the nails! Are those your nails or acrylics? I cannot grow nails for the life of me!
    The book still sounds good, I really need to get my hands on this series!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the gradient look. Is something like that hard to achieve? I'll have to grab a copy of the series, I love teen books set in the 90's when I was a teen myself. Thanks for the awesome review Mands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked this novel! It's a little sad because I'm currently giving this away and 2 other books but I had no idea what it was about. As always I love your nails, you should do a vlog or tutorial on how you do your nails because I want to learn badly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read that many books set in the 90s as I always travel way back in the time. It seems like both books in this series capture that period nicely. I'm so happy you enjoyed this one and great review :) I feel like I don't need to comment how awesome your nails are but anyhow THEY ARE AWESOME :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of these but they sound so good! And love the little bricks on your nails :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like these book are very honest and raw. I like that the central focus in friendship even if the girls seem to be growing apart. Happy to hear you enjoyed this one Mands even if it didn't quite live up to the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must have the world's steadiest hands! You're inspiring me to do some book-related nail art :D (won't hold a candle to this though!)

    (Book sounds great too btw - I meant to say that first, but I got distracted by the prettiness of your nails)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a bummer that this one takes a dark turn, I don't like that. STill I would eventually like to check out this series as I adore books set in the 1990s

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!! Your nails, that is.
    I'm sorry about the dark turn of the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with this cover and your mani. I just saw Paper Aeroplanes on NG and didn't realize there was a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great nails! I'm sad you didn't love this as much as the first but I am intrigued about the dark turn it takes. I am getting more tempted to start this but I am worried that I won't be happy with the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this manicure. The colors are great and match the cover perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the orange and the brick effect. That color of orange is one of my favorites, actually. It reminds me of sherbert. Mmmmm. Sherbert. So I didn't read this review because I just recently requested the first book from NG and plan on reading it regardless of getting approved or not. I'm happy to see your four star rating, though, and hope I enjoy the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice work translating the cover art to your nails! I really like the rough gradient. The brick wall is fun too I might give it a try as an accent nail sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you very much brother for sharing this information Obat Aterosklerosis
    Information you provide us to we very very good and very useful Obat Kanker Lidah Herbal
    Always update your new other informations the very nice and very good Obat Angin Duduk Herbal

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox