Monday, 7 April 2014

The Trap by Andrew Fukuda



The Trap (The Hunt #3) by Andrew Fukuda
Published November 1, 2013 by Simon & Schuster
Source: the publisher
Rating: 3.5 stars

From the blurb: After barely escaping the Mission alive, Gene and Sissy face an impossible task: staying alive long enough to stop an entire world bent on their destruction. Bound on a train heading into the unknown with the surviving Mission girls, Gene, Sissy, David, and Epap must stick together and use everything they have to protect each other and their only hope: the cure that will turn the blood-thirsty creatures around them into humans again. Now that they know how to reverse the virus, Gene and Sissy have one final chance to save those they love and create a better life for themselves. But as they struggle to get there, Gene's mission sets him on a crash course with Ashley June, his first love . . . and his deadliest enemy.


The Trap by Andrew Fukuda is the final book in The Hunt series. This was initially a series I had little interest in, then I read book one and was hooked on Fukuda’s world building and action-packed stories.

The Trap picks up where The Prey left off: Gene, Sissy, David, and Epap are on a train along with the young girls that escaped The Mission. They arrive at the Ruler’s Palace and from there they must decide if they help the Originators or The Ruler.

Right from the start this book was go, go go. The opening scene was vivid, scary, and made my heart race. What Gene and the gang find at the Palace is just as disturbing as everything else they’ve seen along the way – Fukuda always pushes the creepy-barrier and this is definitely a world I’d never want to visit!

I’ve always liked Gene, he’s done well to have survived as a Heper for so long in the vampires’ world. The same can be said for Sissy, she’s an amazingly strong girl. The two make a great pair, not only because they’re The Origin, but because they care about each other so much.

The plot in this book was just as I expected: fast and action-packed. There was never a dull moment and there was a lot to take in. I found the ending almost lost me, I was confused as to why the characters seemed so surprised by the big reveal, but this didn't dampen my enjoyment.

Overall this has been a satisfying series and each book has been equally good. I have always pondered certain aspects of the world Fukuda has created, but it still feels well thought out. I highly recommend this to any YA reader who thinks they’re over vampires books – this series is so different.

Thank you to the fantastic people at Simon & Schuster for my review copy.

26 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this trilogy, Mandee! I find it's so rare, these days, to be even remotely satisfied by conclusions so the fact that you had very few qualms with this one speaks highly of the series. I'm not looking for more YA - and definitely not anymore about vampires - but I'll be recommending this to friends who are still into vampires for sure. Wonderful review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt really good to finish a series and feel satisfied!

      Delete
  2. I do love original vampire books, so I will have to check it out!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this release entirely! Sounds like Fukuda makes vampires his own, and I like the fact that this series is so action packed. Glad you were pleased with the conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really great to see such a unique take on vampires!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I didn't think I was that interested in this series either, but maybe I am! I'm not too keen on vampires, since there have been so many about, but a good book is a good book, right? I'm definitely going to be seeking out the first book to try. :) Great review Mandee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this book as well but I still haven't read the series, I ought to get on with it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first book in this series but it really wasn't for me but your review has made me want to give this series another go.

    A lovely review Mandee! It's nice when a series remains consistent in all aspects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it more if you decide to give it another go, Shaz!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad this series wrapped up well for you, Mandee! I wasn't too interested in the first book when I first came across it, but I've heard mostly good things about these books, and I think if you enjoyed them, then I most likely will too. :) Even though the ending here was a bit shaky, I'm glad it didn't dampen your enjoyment of the rest of the book. Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd get a kick out of them, Sam!

      Delete
  8. I really need to start this series still. Glad you enjoyed it. And did they get new covers?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still haven't read this series. I keep putting this off. Now I am most curious about the world building!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't drawn to this series, it didn't suit me and I'm not into scary things (at all- even light-scary does not work for me. Easily terrified, you know) but I'm glad you were happily surprised by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually no good with anything scary, but I made sure to read this during the day ;)

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of these, but that's great you found yourself interested when you weren't in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so behind in this series, but I was definitely on the edge of my seat during book one, so I can't believe I haven't made time for this yet. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the ending, and that it matches the action and excitement of the prior books. It gives me something to look forward to. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then I know you will love the following two books, hun!

      Delete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox