Friday, 4 April 2014

Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen

This post contains a joint review and a bookish manicure.





Lady Thief (Scarlet #2) by A.C. Gaughen
Published
Source: the publisher
Rating: 2 stars (Mands), 3 stars (Michelle)


From the blurb: Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but her future is uncertain. Her forced marriage to Lord Gisbourne threatens Robin and Scarlet’s love, and as the royal court descends upon Nottingham for the appointment of a new Sheriff, the people of Nottingham hope that Prince John will appoint their beloved Robin Hood. But Prince John has different plans for Nottingham that revolve around a fateful secret from Scarlet’s past even she isn’t yet aware of. Forced to participate at court alongside her ruthless husband, Scarlet must bide her time and act the part of a noblewoman—a worthy sacrifice if it means helping Robin’s cause and a chance at a future with the man she loves. With a fresh line of intrigue and as much passion as ever, the next chapter in Scarlet’s tale will have readers talking once again.

Mands: Two years ago, Michelle from The Unfinished Bookshelf and I read Scarlet together. Now, we’re back to chat about the second book in the series, Lady Thief. Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but she must still face her husband, Gisbourne. In the midst of this, the royal court descends on Nottingham to select a new Sheriff for the county. 

Michelle: I think the thing I found most difficult going into Lady Thief was that I don’t really remember what happened at the end of Scarlet - I think we read it at the end of 2012! So, for me the beginning was really confusing. 

Mands: You’re right, we read it late 2012 so it has been a while, and I never have time to re-read a book before the next in the series. I remembered the characters, but couldn't remember who had died or the events that happened. 

Michelle: That’s where Recaptains usually comes in handy! It’s a shame Scarlet wasn't on there. 

Mands: I think it’s a book that was overlooked in 2012, but now that Lady Thief is out, I’ve seen a bunch of people reading it.

Michelle: I almost wish I’d done that hah - just so that I wouldn’t have been so confused by the start. Lady Thief really does seem to just jump straight into the action. I liked that about Scarlet, but for a lot of Lady Thief I felt confused by this. 

Mands: I felt a lot of confusion during this story, too, there was a lot of back and forth between the town, the forest, and the castle. Events seemed to happen so quickly, and a lot of what took place felt repetitive. From memory I had no issues with the dialect used in Scarlet but in Lady Thief I found it irritating and I often had to re-read sections, this made it hard to concentrate on the story and impeded the flow for me.

Michelle: I felt a bit the same. There were quite a few times I didn’t understand Scarlet’s motives for doing something. To be honest I was confused for most of the first part of the book. I feel like some sort of short explanation could have cleared things up a bit without being patronising. Lady Thief was very fast paced and I liked that aspect. I still got sucked into the story despite my confusion. I must admit this feeling of not knowing what or why things were happening was irritating. 

Mands: I had issues with the characters, particularly Scarlet’s guilt about Gisbourne and Robin. I went back and read our review of Scarlet, and she was the same way then with Gisbourne, but in this book she tries to take on Robin’s issues and in the process allows him to hurt her. While he wasn’t doing it on purpose or maliciously, I didn’t like the message that a girl should stand by her man, even when he almost kills her.

Michelle: That’s so true - I didn’t like the idea that love for someone could be a cure for deep psychological issues. Sometimes love isn’t enough. Obviously though, there wasn’t much recognition of mental issues in that time period. But still, the message it sends doesn’t sit comfortably with me. I’m starting to think Scarlet should’ve just gone with nice ol’ John. 

Mands: Nice guys finish last! No, I don’t actually believe that because I usually go for the nice ones. But, I definitely didn’t enjoy the romance between Scar and Rob this time. Looking back to our review of Scarlet, I remember swooning over Rob, but this time I just didn’t feel anything, nor did I find myself caring about any of them. Well, except Much, he was his usual, adorable self!


To read the rest of our review, head on over to Michelle's blog



So, despite not loving this sequel, I do love the cover! I really like that it's similar to the cover of Scarlet. I did nails to match Scarlet back in 2012, so I had to do a mani to match Lady Thief, too!



I started with 2 coats of Orly Purple Pleather on all nails apart from my ring finger, on that nail I used 2 coats of Ulta3 Footloose Fuchsia.



Once dry I used a fine brush and acrylic paint to paint the floral and vine pattern on the purple nails. On the pink nail I painted the pattern on Scarlet's hood and gown. Over the top I painted Scarlet's knife.

I originally did these nails matte so that the paint on top stood out but I added top coat at the end and preferred the finish, so that's what I've shown here.


37 comments:

  1. Love how the ring finger turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a huge fan of Scarlet and I am definitely glad not to have picked this one . I feel as though I'd have the same difficulties you ladies did, which makes us unfortunate black sheep as most readers just love these books and the covers really are just stunning. And Mandee, I try to imagine what your nails will look like for each book and every time the designs you come up with are so much better than anything I could dream of - your creativity knows no bounds! LOVE these nails and fabulous post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Keer, I'm glad I can surprise you with my manis! And I think it's probably best if you skip this - but, you never know ;)

      Delete
  3. Love those nails, you are crazy amazing!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame this sequel wasn't a hit with you. I hate when the things that worked in the first book (the romance, the strange dialect) fall apart in book two. I'm glad at least that the cover provided inspiration for these gorgeous nails! I love the way the gown and knife pop out, so lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame when this happens, but oh well! And thanks for the lovely comment :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't love the first book, so I kind of doubt I'll be reading this, especially since y'all didn't even like Robin this time! At least you got some seriously beautiful nails out of it! I love the purple! :)

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not liking Robin was so puzzling for me, I don't know what happened :(

      Delete
  6. everyone seems to have mixed reactions to this one, i actually got the first book this week and am very excited. love the mani! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great book mani! I love the brocade kind of print :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read both books back to back in February and I actually liked this one better. I think because I had the first fresh in my mind. I am sorry it wasn't a better read for you ladies. That ending was a killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved them both, Heids! This might have worked better for me if I'd read them one after the other

      Delete
  9. I haven't started this series yet- sorry to hear the sequel was a little disappointing. But, it did inspire an awesome manicure! The dagger came out especially cool. Fun review chat, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again your manicure is amazing! I have never read the first book in this series but girls I'm sorry it wasn't as good as expected but I guess when two years pass between the book and its sequel it changes a lot. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the time in between really made a difference, Tanja. And, thanks!

      Delete
  11. I haven't even touched this series yet...gah, I'm not even sure why! I think I got Scarlet mixed up with Scarlet by Marissa Meyer because they came out so close (I think they did, anyway!). I would like to try this series, but sorry it didn't live up to expectations for you guys! It's always interesting to read discussions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same names and similar release dates!

      Delete
  12. love this nails ! again perfect match !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this series, but I definitely feel your pain in trying to remember details of a previous book! I rarely have time for re-reads as well, and so this is where a little bit of a recap is beneficial, especially if there's two years between books. One year is bad enough! Too bad the romance didn't do much for you either.

    I love that purple color! It looks periwinkle from the photos, but the one red nail with the sword is a nice unexpected touch! Lovely review and manicure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to keep track, especially when you read as many books as we do! Thanks, Rach!

      Delete
  14. I still need to read the first book in this series, but I have heard good things. I didn't read the review because it is one I plan on reading sometime. I'm loving these nails, though. I love how the red nail really stands out against the purple nails--and that sword! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nat! And I hope you end up reading these books :)

      Delete
  15. Love the joint review. It's a shame that the book didn't contain it's own little recap - I often find myself forgetting most of what's in a book by the time the next in the series is released. As always - the nails are gorgeous. You've done a great job replicating the swirlyness of it. Swirlyness... not sure that's a word but I hope you know what I mean :)

    Kate @ Fictional Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that purple! Joint reviews are so fun to read. Too bad neither of you loved this book though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice! i love the look of that Orly polish

    ReplyDelete
  18. Guy of Gisbourne becomes much more delightful when you're watching the BBC series with Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisbourne. He may be a bastard, but he looks so darn good doing it, though even he pales to cheeky Robin, the only person who's gap tooth hasn't bothered me to distraction and constant itching of all my skin.

    This has nothing at all to do with your review but I'm in quite a distracted, whimsical mood and it just made me think of the show and how I should watch that again, especially since I never got to the second season.

    I'm gonna stop the rambling now....

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox