Monday, 10 March 2014

The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher




The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher
Published October 3, 2013 by Chicken House/Scholastic
Source: the publisher
Rating: 2 stars

From the blurb: Emily’s dad is accused of murdering a teenage girl. Emily is sure he is innocent, but what happened that night in the woods behind their house where she used to play as a child? Determined to find out, she seeks out Damon Hillary the enigmatic boyfriend of the murdered girl. He also knows these woods. Maybe they could help each other. But he’s got secrets of his own about games that are played in the dark.

Mini review:

It must be hard as an author to write a follow up to a book so intensely loved by readers, like Stolen by Lucy Christopher. So, when I heard about her latest book, The Killing Woods, I tried not to let my hopes get too high. It’s hard as a book blogger to write a review of a book that left you without any strong feelings, and this is the case with The Killing Woods.

Christopher showed us in Stolen how to make the setting a character and how much influence it can have over the story, and while I enjoyed the descriptions of the woods in this story, I never felt its overpowering presence; neither did I care much for the actual characters. I felt sympathetic towards Emily, but the plot line involving Damon and his mates was not very intriguing.

The beginning had a very strong paranormal feel and I was expecting something a little out of the ordinary to occur in the woods. I kept waiting to feel creeped out, kept waiting for the plot to become thrilling and nail biting but the ending, and what happened between Damon and his friends, fell flat. I was neither shocked nor surprised.

I think readers who have not read Stolen might have better luck with this, they won't have expectations of another story as powerful as that, as well as readers who are into books involving a slight mysterious aspect.

Thank you to the wonderful people at Scholastic for my review copy.

31 comments:

  1. I got an ARC of this because I read some promising early reviews, but lately the reviews have been lackluster so I imagine I will be skipping this. Thanks for the honest review. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously this wasn't a favorite as it didn't get the matching nails.

      Delete
    2. HA! I do tend to play favourites and not bother with books I don't love or covers that I'm not that inspired by ;)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Stolen, I will have to check it out!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't like this one. I need to read Stolen still. I've owned a copy for awhile and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely, Mandee - I tried not to let my expectations from STOLEN influence my reading of this novel, but I wound up feeling incredibly disappointed. It isn't a bad read, just hard to believe it's Lucy Christopher. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one, but I couldn't see how any one could really follow up with anything after Stolen. That book completely destroyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I read Stolen ages ago but remember how good it was, so of course another book by the author would be exciting, though the idea of this one never especially intrigued me. You seem to be in the majority, though. It's sad when an author can't live up to the expectations they've set. :(

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I kind of didn't go off very well with this. But I didn't really love Stolen either. I mean, I thought it was good! But I think I missed the WOW factor that everyone raves about. I was weirded out by the ending. I expected it to be paranormal too, there for a bit! But no. Just stupid teens. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for your disappointment, Mandee! Stolen is a wonderful read and I tried my best not to compare these two books, but it is hard indeed. I loved the setting, but the characters could do better. Hopefully her next book will be a better read for you if you still plan to read her works! Thank you for your honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably read any future book she might choose to write :)

      Delete
  9. It stinks when your disappointed by a book from a favorite author. This ones on my TBR, I never read STOLEN so hopefully I'll enjoy it bit better since I won't be comparing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the end I just couldn't read this one because I read too many reviews from people who had read Stolen and were disappointed. I'm sorry to hear that was the case for you too, but I appreciate your honest review! Now I don't feel bad about skipping it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries and don't feel bad, I don't think you're missing much ;)

      Delete
  11. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy this :( I've heard wonderful things about Stolen but have yet to dive in. I will. Eventually. But it's a pity you didn't like this one more :/ I hate it when I feel detached from the characters and it just really sucks.

    Great mini-review, Mands! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry this one was a disappointment after the amazing Stolen (I still haven't read it! Eek!) I liked The Killing Woods a bit more than you did but can totally see where you're coming from. Hope the next book is back to Stolen standards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always a shame when the next book from an author is disappointing. If I want to read her books, I'll make sure to read this one first!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it - I'm afraid to read it for th same reason..(

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox