Monday, 3 March 2014

The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty




The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine #2) by Jaclyn Moriarty
Published February 27, 2013 by PanMacmillan AU
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: It's not easy being Princess Ko.
Her family is missing, taken to the World through cracks in the Kingdom, which were then sealed tightly behind them.
Now Princess Ko is running the Kingdom, and war is looming.
To help her find her family, she gathers a special group of teens, including Elliot Baranski of the Farms. He's been writing secret letters to a Girl-in-the World named Madeleine Tully - and now the Kingdom needs her help.
Madeleine and Elliot must locate the missing royals, convince them of their true identities, and figure out how to unlock the dangerous cracks between the Kingdom and the World.
All before their enemies can stop them.

The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty is the sequel to A Corner of White. Set in Cambridge, England and the Kingdom of Cello, we once again meet up with Madeleine Tully and Elliot Baranski, two teens, communicating via a crack between their worlds.

It’s been a year and a half since I read and loved A Corner of White and what was so wonderful was about the sequel was that I never had any issues with remembering what had happened or who the characters were, it all fell into place the moment I began reading. The reminders and information included in this book were subtle and explained so simply, there was never an issue with time being wasted on lengthy, unnecessary descriptions.

Hanging out with Madeleine and Elliot again was a lot of fun. Madeleine is wonderfully intelligent and curious, she’s always got facts and details waiting to be shared. Elliot is such a well-loved boy, by his family and community, always keen to help people out. Both of them are suffering from the loss of their fathers, yet each of them remain hopeful, supporting each other via their letters.

It was such a pleasure to return to Cello, this magical world where colours take on shapes, where you can catch spells in a lake, where some people can fly. I wholeheartedly believe in this world because it feels like no detail has been spared, that if you were to ask the author anything about the world, she’d know the answer. The connection between Cello and our world is so clever and I never have an issue believing in what happens, it feels as real as day to day life.

I found the plot completely intriguing, wondering if Elliot and Madeleine were going to figure out how to get through the crack, wondering if the Royal Family would return home, wondering who was going to turn out to be against them. Despite the length of this book (526 pages) there was never a dull moment and it was surprisingly quick to read. The ending gave me a pang of grief, there was so much to be happy about, yet some of the characters’ situations left me feeling sad. But, it also means I am already looking forward to the third book.

The Cracks in the Kingdom is a magical, whimsical, spellbinding sequel that will not disappoint fans of A Corner of White.

Thank you to the lovely people at Pan MacMillan for my review copy.


I did nails to match the first book in this series but our Aussie cover has been changed for the sequel and it now matches the US version. I really like this stormy blue cover and had a lot of fun re-creating it.


I started with 2 coats of BYS Sky's the Limit. Once dry I sponged on the following polishes: L.A Colors Sea Foam, L.A Colors Sea Siren, and Ulta3 Get Teal.



For the umbrella, the lightening, and the rain I used acrylic paint and a fine brush. 








44 comments:

  1. The book cover looks awesome! You translated it so well on your nails, especially with the umbrella :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you recreated the cover as a mani! I really love the rain and lightning! Mind if I recreate this sometime? It's ALWAYS raining where I live :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course! I'd love to see your version :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, your nails are beautiful! I love the little umbrella.

    Glad you liked the book, and it was easy to dive back into the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And it was great, it made for a good sequel

      Delete
  4. Mandee, your nails are simply astounding - you are so talented!

    I've yet to dig into my review copy of this one, but I'm looking forward to getting started and seeing what Moriarty has up her sleeve next - I'm sure it's going to delight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, Keertana!

      I hope you love this book :)

      Delete
  5. Your nails are so awesome! Gaaah! I have no idea how you can paint so small! xD I have a review copy of this too, but I've been a little dubious to start because I've NEVER heard anything about them! Still. This is a marvellous review. I need to get onto them, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I've just seen your reviews, I'm sorry you did not like this series :(((

      Delete
  6. I really love how you did the rain on your nails this time. Very pretty. Plus this series sounds really good too. I love how they talk through the cracks in their world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! you did an amazing job :-) So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen! Do you have a blog? I've tried following your link back but I can't see a blog to return comments on ;)

      Delete
  8. I've had A Corner of White sitting patiently on my Kindle for awhile, it sounds like I need to check it out and catch up!

    WOW!! The rain / lightning look amazing on your nails. I love that blue, too. You're so talented! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea! And yes, I defo think you should read the first book, STAT!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic manicure and great review. I just got my first Moriarty book from the library this weekend and am really looking forward to it. And love the new graphics, Mandee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy Jaclyn's books and I'm really happy with the new blog elements, too!

      Delete
  10. Haven't read the first book but OMG those nails are stunning. Amazing job!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still need to read the first book. I have it on my Kindle, so I have no excuse. Those nails are freaking amazing. I love how you made it look like rain. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get to it, Nat! I hope you love it :) And thanks so much

      Delete
  12. My goodness, your nails look incredible! I love the stormy blue too, the fine detail on the rain is mind blowing. Did you recreate A Cover of White when that was released too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, I'll edit the post to incl. the link!

      Delete
  13. I've never heard of this series before, it sounds really interesting. I LOVE your nails! The blue really looks stormy and the lightening & umbrella are just plain awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW. STUNNING nails as always, Mandee! <3 You're totally talented in nail business. ;) Anyways, glad that you liked this book! At first I thought this series is just full of fluffiness, but it seems that there's more what meets the eyes! Fabulous review! I'll make sure to check this out later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a lot more to this series, Hilds!

      Delete
  15. I have heard such great things about this series and it is on my TBR. I really want to check it out. I like that you didn't struggle with book amnesia with this! Such cool nails. I have no talent for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I think this is a series you'd like

      Delete
  16. This book cover is so pretty! I like it even more than the first book and can see why it inspired a book manicure. Now that I see your 5-star review I know I need to catch up with this series, stat!
    That marbled effect blue is simply gorgeous, and the lightning effect is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! I think you'd really enjoy these books!

      Delete
  17. Wow the nails look amazing, I can't even comprehend how you do that. I try to do one colour on my nails and it looks like I just dropped nail polish on myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! And, practice makes perfect (or at least better) ;)

      Delete
  18. I have the first book and I need to read it, esp because I LOVE Jaclyn.

    YOUR NAILS ARE STUNNING, AS ALWAYS!!!! You're amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really think these might be my favorite nails you've ever done, they're so gorgeous and they match the cover perfectly!

    I loved loved loved A Corner of White, and I was afraid I'd have book amnesia when reading the sequel, so I'm thrilled to hear you didn't have any issues jumping right back into the story. Now I'm even more excited to get my hands on this! Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Lauren!

      I hope you get a copy of this very soon, so glad you LOVED ACoW!

      Delete
  20. I love your manicure and I so want to read this series, it just sounds so good and different,
    thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it, it really is unique!

      Delete
  21. Love, love, LOVE that manicure! That blue is stunning but the umbrella, so adorable! Come do mine please! ;)

    I have had A Corner of White since before release. The thing is, I'm not sure if her writing is for me. I tried a different book of her and didn't care for it. I've been told her writing is a bit quirky which can be hit or miss. I think I'll have to read A Corner of White just to find out for sure. :) Glad you loved this one. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to have a nail painting day with you, Candace!

      I suppose her writing is a bit quirky, but it's also very beautiful. I hope you at least give it a go, this is different to her previous YA realistic fic series

      Delete
  22. I still haven't read A Corner of White but I love your nails here! Especially the little umbrella

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox