Saturday, 15 March 2014

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein


Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
Published: September 10, 2013 by Disney Hyperion
Source: the publisher via BEA
Rating: 5 stars

From the blurb: While flying an Allied fighter plane from Paris to England, American ATA pilot and amateur poet, Rose Justice, is captured by the Nazis and sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious women's concentration camp. Trapped in horrific circumstances, Rose finds hope in the impossible through the loyalty, bravery and friendship of her fellow prisoners. But will that be enough to endure the fate that’s in store for her?

Mini review:

I read this months ago and have put off writing a review because I didn’t think I could put into words what I felt about this book, and even if I did, it wouldn't be good enough. I wrote so much about Code Name Verity, Elizabeth’s first book, and I loved this just as much but in a different way.

Rose Under Fire because it felt so realistic, like Elizabeth has written down the history of these characters as if they really did exist, and in a way they did, as she clearly did a lot of detailed research into concentration camps and the horrors that occurred in them. 

Like Code Name Verity, Rose Under Fire has a strong focus on friendship. I loved the girls Rose meets in at the camp, the way they become a family, and the things they’re willing to do for each other. Their friendship broke my heart, much like Maddie and Queenie's did.

And while I’m tearing up now at the thought of this story, and while I sobbed uncontrollably during Code Name Verity, I cried very little during Rose Under Fire. I think the horror shocked me – even though what happened throughout the story was not new to me, and instead of crying I just felt hollow. I loved modern history in high school and we spent a lot of time on WWII. It sounds awful to say I enjoyed learning about it, but I did, even though it’s a horrible time in our world’s history.

So basically what I’m trying to say is that Elizabeth is a master at writing stories that feel completely real, about characters who are wonderfully strong even in the face of torture, about friendship and love. I recommend her books to all readers, I promise you will find stories and characters that will make your heart hurt, and stay with you for ever.

Thank you to the publisher for my review copy from BEA.

6 comments:

  1. I feel a bit shamed that I've not read a book by her yet, even knowing how much you love her books. It's just difficult for me to get into books like these...

    But I will try at least one of Wein's books out this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, hun! Give it a go and see how you feel :)

      Delete
  2. I also haven't written a review for this yet, because I feel like it's so hard to do this book justice. I was absolutely horrified at the Rabbits and the concentration camp, but the friendships were so beautiful. Like you, I think I cried more during CNV, but I was so much angrier in this book, and I definitely get all emotional and misty thinking about it, even now. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt more anger and shame that this actually happened in our world

      Delete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox