Monday, 17 March 2014

No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale

This post contains a review and bookish manicure.




No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale
Published January 7, 2014 by Harper Teen
Source: the publisher via Netgalley
Rating: 4 stars

From the blurb: Small towns are nothing if not friendly. Friendship, Wisconsin (population: 689 688) is no different. Around here, everyone wears a smile. And no one ever locks their doors. Until, that is, high school sweetheart Ruth Fried is found murdered. Strung up like a scarecrow in the middle of a cornfield.

Unfortunately, Friendship’s police are more adept at looking for lost pets than catching killers. So Ruth’s best friend, Kippy Bushman, armed with only her tenacious Midwestern spirit and Ruth’s secret diary (which Ruth’s mother had asked her to read in order to redact any, you know, sex parts), sets out to find the murderer. But in a quiet town like Friendship—where no one is a suspect—anyone could be the killer.
No One Else Can Have You is Kathleen Hale’s debut novel set in Friendship, Wisconsin. Sixteen year old Kippy Bushman is no stranger to death; she’s lost her mother, her neighbour’s parents, and now her best friend, eighteen year old Ruth Fried. Ruth was recently found gruesomely murdered in the corn fields bordering the back of Kippy's house. When Ruth’s boyfriend is arrested she and Ruth’s older brother, Davey, take up the case.

On starting this book, I was immediately caught up in the mystery of Ruth’s death and I enjoyed Kippy’s funny, odd narration. I felt for Kippy, she has a dad who over-analyses everything – he’s a psychologist, yet she can’t really talk to him, and is now left with only one friend, Ralph, which leaves her quite lonely.

The mystery was well done, and I didn’t spend much time trying to figure out who was the murderer, instead I enjoyed following Kippy around town while she played detective, content to wait for her to figure it out.

Before I started this book I was aware of the variations in ratings being given to it by readers and was curious about what was in store for me. Now that I’ve read it, I can understand why some people might not like it, but for me it worked well : the murders were gruesome, but the descriptions weren’t too graphic and while some of it felt a little unrealistic, at the same time it was entertaining. 

No One Else Can Have You is a story that grabbed me from the beginning and had me hooked until the very end. If you enjoy quirky teens and murder mysteries, give this a go.

Thank you to Harper Teen for my review copy via Edelweiss.



I shared my manicure to match early last month, so I'll only include one photo in this post:


You can check out more photos here.



28 comments:

  1. I just love what you do with this blog. I love having nice nails so much praise to you! From the title I grew weary because it sounds like a creepy book with some sort of stalker so I'm taking your word that it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I saw this cover, I admit! I thought it looked kind of dorky...but, since the reviews have been pouring in, nope. I'm converted. I need it. I don't mind chilling/freaky murders. (Although, yeah, I do check all the doors are locked when I'm reading, but who doesn't?!) Love the nails, of course! Such tiny itty little moose. What's the plural of moose? Mooses? Meece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I suppose knitted jumpers are a bit dorky but I really adore this cover! And it's moose!

      Delete
  3. I love the nails you did, they look great! This book sounds amazing too, I'll have to add it to my list of books to I want to read when this semester is over! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say - apart from the wonderbar nails - that I'm loving the new format and that it includes the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover of this book is just so awesome. Your nails came out great! I planned to read this one and then saw a few really bad reviews and took it off my list but now you're making me want to read it again, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard mixed reviews on this one, too, but I think it sounds really interesting. And love the nails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute nails! I've read mixed things about this book too, but I still really want to read it. It sounds like something I'd enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding me? Those nails are AMAZING! How do you do it? I am glad you enjoyed this one, Mands. It was a bit of a miss for me. There were parts I really liked and others I didn't. I was hoping for more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad I found this blog! I am finally learning basic nail care. lol. I even subscribed to Julep to motivate me. lol.
    I have this book too & thought it would be silly, but it actually sounds pretty awesome. Your nails are waaay MONEY though. lolz.
    Nice to *meet* you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this manicure so much, I would love to have those creepy little sweater moose on my nails! :-) I really enjoyed this book but I know people are all over the map on this one, and I understand why. So glad this story and Kippy's narration worked for you. Lovely review and stunning nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could meet up and I could paint creepy moose on your nails!

      Delete
  11. Oh that mani is so cute-Must have been pretty hard to do those moose huh? And I love the pattern on the pinky finger. :)

    And the town's name is Friendship? Haven't read it yet but I think I'll give it a go when I'm in the mood for some mystery. Great review and mani, Mands! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nuzaifa! It took a little while to paint but I really enjoyed doing it

      Delete
  12. I have seen some mixed reviews for this but I'm still really curious to read it. I enjoy a murder mystery and quirky teens so I'm pleased you liked this.

    A wonderful review Mandee & I love your nails!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might really like it, Sharon!

      Delete
  13. Not many people noticed how utterly lonely Kippy seemed, but that's the impression I got too. I thought this was a very daring satire, and YA is a genre that desperately needs them! Wonderful review! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really felt for her, and the people she did have around her were letting her down. I'd love to see more books like this

      Delete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox