Monday, 17 February 2014

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson


So, today is the first day I'm sharing a book review on here, paired with a bookish manicure. Want more details? Check out my post yesterday.



The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
Published Jan 2, 2014 by Text Publishing
Source: the publisher
Rating: 4 paws

From the blurb: Hayley Kincain is hoping for a normal life now that she and her father have left their life on the road. But it seems things will never be normal when your dad is running from a past that tortures him and you’re trying to block out your own painful memories.
Then Hayley meets Finn. Perhaps she doesn’t need to work out her problems all on her own anymore. If only she’d let him in.

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson is the story of seventeen year old Hayley Rose Kincain and her father, a former soldier now living with post-traumatic stress disorder. They have spent years on the road in a truck, moving from place to place, living with his alcoholism and mood swings. But now they've settled into her grandmother’s house and she’s in senior year at Belmont High School.

Laurie Halse Anderson has such a way with words, I am always utterly absorbed by her stories and this book was no different. Hayley is such a strong girl, one who has tried to take on the role of parent. Living in such close quarters with her father has meant she’s taken on some of his troubles, she suffers from anxiety and paranoia, but she doesn’t want to seek out or accept help from anyone.

Meeting Finn Ramos is one of the highlights of this story, for Hayley and for readers. He’s a wonderful mix of adorable, intelligent, and respectful – there is just something about guys named Finn (viewers of My Mad Fat Diary will agree with me!)

This is such a sad story and one that I’m sure rings true for a lot of families. The lack of help available to returning soldiers and their families is pitiful and I’m sure it will be something governments focus on in years to come.

The Impossible Knife of Memory is a gripping tale of one girl trying to make the most out of her life while realising she's not as alone as she thought.

Thank you to the lovely people at Text Publishing for my review copy.

______________________________________________

I really love the icy cover of this book and when I got a new textured polish I realised it was the perfect for matching nails.


I started with 1 coat of Orly La Playa on all my nails, excluding my thumb nail. Once dry I dabbed on 2 coats of China Glaze There's Snow One Like You, a white textured polish, leaving room down the middle for the crack in the ice. On my thumb nail I did 2 coats of CG There's Snow One Like You, without the blue underneath.



I'm happy with how these turned out but it's one of those manicures that makes no sense when I'm not holding the book in my hand! It was fun to try out a textured polish, I quite like the look and feel of it.




46 comments:

  1. Wow that texture polish works here! Cool that you were able to use the color to recreate the cover on your nails :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love the texture! Also, great review Mands - yes, what is it about boys named Finn? There's a guy on Winners and Losers called Finn who is also really cute haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza! That looks amazeballs. The book sounds great too. I like the combo review and nails :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never watched it but I love how much you love Mad Fat Diary, Mandy!
    The manicure is - as always - gorgeous. It works so well. I think the texture would drive me mad... I'd be unconsciously be picking it off.
    I enjoyed the book too and really felt for Hayley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, have I convinced you to give MMFD a go? I hope so!

      Delete
  5. I love your nails for this novel, Mandee, and I have to agree that Finn is definitely the highlight of this story. Seriously, SWOON. I really enjoyed this, though, despite the sad subject matter and thought Hayley's narration was such a refreshing change with her sarcasm and even her cynicism. Wonderful review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really did a great job with that textured polish! The book sounds really good, but really sad. And I agree, there really IS something about boys named Finn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the name Finn! I've only read one other book that had a character with that name. This sounds like a great story but also depressing. Your nails came out so cool, I've never seen textured polish like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh what a fun manicure! You did a really good job. I do want to read this one at some point. Anderson does realistic very well.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a textured polish would drive me nuts, I can barely handle three coats of regular old Julep ha ha.

    Anyways.

    I am in agreement about fictional boys named Finn, there's just something about them.

    Also, LHA is quite the magical writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurie Halse Anderson definitely has a talent when it comes to crafting memorable lines / stories. Her words always hit me where it counts.

    Love your nails! Wow, they look so great with the book. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing nail art ! so lovely and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the nails really do match! What a great conversation starter!
    I'm really wanting to read this book. I've only read Speak by her but the whole premise of this one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you said snow I totally thought it was going to be this polish. While I think it looks great for your book manicure, I can't see wearing this one anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, this very unique nail design..but I like it :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree. Laurie has a really special ways of telling the story, she always drags you in it and you start living it in a way. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one and your nails are amazing. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on recreating the book cover on your nails! :) that China glaze texture is REALLY textured haven't seen anything like it! It's cool... does it snag on stuff though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was ok, but I took it off after a few days

      Delete
  17. Gorgeous nails, I love the textured polish! I really enjoyed this book too, despite it being very emotional. I loved Finn and Hayley, and the voice was incredible, so many quote worthy lines. Lovely review and nails!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely beautiful! You found a great way to use China Glaze There's Snow One Like You! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still so want to read this book. I had a glimpse at it and thought the writing was beautiful. Amazing nails btw :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you got your inspiration from the book!
    This nail art desing looks just stunning on your nails :)

    I also love to read what your opinion on the book is!
    Xx Julia

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome! It looks so good against the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That texture is really crazy. I don't know if I could stand it on my nails. It looks fantastic though. I'm definitely going to have to check out this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible! The detail on the texture looks like it must have taken layers and layers to create the snow effect. Does it add extra weight to them? This has been one of my favorite books too, probably one of the most emotional reads so far this year. Awesome review and beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the polish isn't heavy and it was just 2 coats dabbed on ;)

      Delete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox