Monday, 24 February 2014

The Disappearance of Ember Crow by Ambellin Kwaymullina






The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2) by Ambellin Kwaymullina
Published November 2013 by Walker Books AU
Source: the publisher
Rating: 3 paws

From the blurb: Ember Crow is missing. To find her friend, Ashala Wolf must control her increasingly erratic and dangerous Sleepwalking ability and leave the Firstwood. But Ashala doesn't realise that Ember is harbouring terrible secrets and is trying to shield the Tribe and all Illegals from a devastating new threat - her own past.

Mini review:

The Disappearance of Ember Crow by Ambelin Kwaymullina picks up six months after the events of The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf. Ashala has been living with a wolf pack but returns to her tribe when she hears the news that Ember has left them and doesn’t want them to try and find her.

I really enjoyed TIoAW when I read it a year and a half ago and at the time I was keen to read the sequel but I was also really happy with the way the story was wrapped up. So, on starting The Disappearance I really had to work at remembering the characters and the events of the previous book and slowly my interest returned.

This book takes a close look at Ember’s past and has some big secrets to reveal about her family. The story starts off in the Firstwood, with the Tribe and a visit from some of the Saurs, but it also covers new ground with Ashala, Connor, and Jules travelling to Spinifex City, providing the reader with vivid descriptions of the Australian-based environment.

There’s plenty of action and intrigue but I didn't find myself vested in this book as I did the previous one, and I can’t really put my finger on why. I still think this is a unique and very Australian series, perfect for teens who enjoy dystopian reads.

Thank you to Walker Books for my review copy.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before so thanks for reviewing it! Will keep under my radar :)

    Fabulous review as always, Mandee! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, This sounds great!
    I love to read your book reviews ;)

    I'm definitely going to read this one
    Xx julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame you weren't as invested in this installment, Mandee, but I'm glad to see that Book 1 works as a stand-alone. I have it (thanks to you!) so I'll definitely be starting it soon knowing that I can enjoy it without having to worry about getting my hands on the sequel. This seems like a book to skip, but thanks for such a helpful review, Mandee!(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the first time I'm seeing this cover. I have a review copy of Ashala Wolf so thanks for the reminder that I need to read it :) Sorry this installment wasn't as amazing as the first. The cover is really cool though. I like that crow shadow and the shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of either book, but I am a bit curious about the first one now. That's a shame that it didn't quite capture your attention like the first novel, but it still sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey bookworm! I have a Shine On Award to give you! Keep on bloggin on! http://craftynail.com/2014/02/25/shine-on-award-and-an-epic-nail-fail/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wait in between books can really diminish my excitement and like you, by the time I remember everything I don't care as much. Great review, Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took me a little while to get back in to the flow of this one too, and I'm sorry it didn't feel quite the same to you. On one hand, it didn't have the same punch of being totally different to anything else I'd read simply because I'd had that experience with the first one, but I like the new sci fi element and that the world has been broadened beyond the forest and one immediate town.

    While I wasn't as blown away by this one as I was by the first, I think that this one has been better developed and better written and I've got more of an idea of where it's going than I did after the first.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox