Friday, 18 October 2013

The Ruby Oliver Series


Today I have a bunch of manicures to share, I did them to match a 4-book series, The Ruby Oliver series by Emily Lockhart. I was sent the first three books by a friend early last year (thanks, Magz!) and I bought the fourth book when I fell in love with the series. They are so well written, fun, and full of fantastic characters.

The first book in the series is The Boyfriend List. I started with 2 coats of Ulta3 Lily White. On each nail, apart from my ring nail, I did a half moon using Mode Cosmetics Funkadelic.



On my ring nail I painted the frog using Sinful Colors Innocent** and a fine brush. I used a dotting tool and a fine brush for his eyes and nose along with Ulta3 Black Satin



The next book is The Boy Book - again I started with Ulta3 Lily White and on each nail apart from my ring nail I did a half moon using Natio Tangerine.



On my ring nail I painted the penguin with Ulta3 Black Satin and a fine brush. I added his white chest and two dots for his eyes with Ulta3 Lily White. I painted his beak with Natio Tangerine and I added a tinge of yellow to his chest with acrylic paint.


The Treasure Map of Boys is the third book in the series. I started with Ulta3 Lily White on all my nails apart from my ring nail. On my ring nail I used 2 coats of Ulta3 Scarlet, I also used this polish to create half moons on each nail.

On my ring nail I painted the marshmallow man with white acrylic paint. I added the lolly on his head, and his smile, with orange acrylic paint. I used Ulta3 Scarlet for his nose. I used Ulta3 Exotic Canary for his buttons. I used black acrylic paint for his eyes and brown acrylic paint for his pretzel arms.


The fourth book in the series, Real Live Boyfriends, never got a cover like the ones above, instead it was part of a redesign for the whole series. I started with a base of Orly Green Apple



I painted a white cloud on the tip of each nail using Ulta3 Lily White, followed by Ulta3 Pink Hibiscus.



This was a really fun series of books to turn into manicures, and I was reminded of how much I want to re-read these books :)


8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how cute! I just love seeing animals on nails, so I particularly love your frog and penguin designs. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these covers and I think you did a great job with the first three! I hate the redesigned covers but that is totally not your fault. My favorite is the first with the frog. I have a thing for frogs. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first design, frog is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, I LOVE this. I always wish this series got more love!! (And I wish they'd never redesigned the covers -- the new ones are so generic, and the old covers were so immediately identifiable.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the frog is my favorite though I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so adorable! I love them all!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox