Thursday, 22 August 2013

Mish Mash Challenge: New Nail Art Technique


Evening all! It's week four of Kimber's Mish Mash Challenge and the theme is a nail art technique that you have never tried before. I chose to do a caviar mani as I just purchased some kits!

I found out about the BYS caviar kits thanks to Haylee from Dry, Dammit! and just had to have the same one that she used: Prom Queen.

I started by painting my nails with 2 coats of the included polish, BYS Prima Ballerina. After the second coat I dipped my ring nail into the pot of beads and then lifted it out. Maybe I had waited too long because there were small gaps where beads had not stuck to the polish.



I was only going to do one nail but then I had a brilliant idea! Make a stencil out of paper in the shape of a heart - foolproof! Wrong - the beads stuck to the paper and the heart shape was all wonky so I ended up coating my nail in beads.



Even though this didn't work out as planned, I liked the look, especially the shade of the polish, it's a lovely neon pastel pink. The beads spent the day falling off and I ended up removing this mani as soon as I got home, but I plan on giving it another go soon!

And now I'm off to check out what the rest of the gang did!





19 comments:

  1. It does look cute. It's a shame the heart design didn't work. It's also too bad that the beads fell off. I wonder how people get them to stay on. Maybe you just can't use your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to read that the heart design didn't work, but this manicure is super cute! I love caviar nails, even if it isn't a long lasting manicure! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look, but I always dread the beads falling off all the time, it must be so annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious how you remove the beads and some of the other stuff you do with your nail art. Do you just use regular polish remover? Does it take forever? I just do normal, one-colour nails once in a blue moon and I hate the polish removing process. Especially if my polish has glitter in it. I love what you do but I am really curious how you remove it all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I was going to do this, but I didn't have enough time and I had to work the next day, I can see little beads rolling all over the floor.. lol This looks great though, even if it wasn't what you had planned =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way this looks and that polish is a beautiful shade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I really like that pink. I haven't tried caviar nails yet; I'm afraid they may drive me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think caviar nails are definitely for special occasions. I found when I use them after coating the nails I also push down on them slightly. Not sure if that makes them stick more though or if it's just in my head.

    @ cat - I removed the beads just with a piece of cotton wool and acetone, they come off quite easily because they're not stuck to the nail but rather just the polish. You could even try roughly swiping a finger back and forth over the top to make them fall off, too. When you remove it with acetone the beads look weird because all their colours disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not ordinarily into this technique, but yours is the second fabulous caviar mani I've seen tonight. Super job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a sweet manicure! The caviar is lovely ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!

    http://thepolishplayground.blogspot.ca/2013/08/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really pretty - I love that texture, it reminds me of sweeties!

    I've never tried a caviar mani - although I do have a bottle of caviar beads in my untried box, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just saw a bunch of the cavier kits from ciate at my local discount store. i wanted to try them but didn't want to spend $10 on what i was pretty sure was something i would not be that into. i have that cute kit you sent me, too, and figured i would try that first.

    i like how this looks on you though. the colors are super cute and ballerina is a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colors here! Caviar nails are fun, but they don't seem to last very long. I've tried top coating them even and that doesn't seem to work either. They do make some lovely photos though :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how all of the colors blend together! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love caviar accents although I end up never using my beads :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such pretty colors in that set. I always like looking at caviar nails.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox