Friday, 12 April 2013

The Diviners


Hey everyone! Today I have a manicure that took me quite a while to complete, probably an hour or two, but it seems only fitting as the book is quite a lengthy one (at least for YA standards).

The book is The Diviners by Libba Bray and it is pos-i-tute-ly fantastic! The story is set in the 1920s and I loved the art deco-look of the cover. I couldn't get the idea of doing a tarot card nail out of my head so I gave it a go. Before I started, I drew it out to get an idea of the proportions I'd have to use to get it to fit on my nail.

And here are the products I used, all of them are mentioned in the description below.


Let's start with the tattoo nail: I started with a base of Chi Chi Can't Buy My Love. Then I added a coat of Butter London Hardware top coat and waited for that to dry. I took Glam Nails nail art pen in Jet Black and drew the horizontal lines, and then the outline of the two people. I added the sun, the rays and then the VI and the word LOVER (I didn't quite space it right so I had to leave off the S!)

I used Barry M Mushroom and a thin brush to draw the trees on either side as well as the hair on both people. I added the green using Glam Nails nail art pen in Emerald Green and the flowers with Glam Nails nail art pen in Cherry Red. I filled in the sun using Zoya Creamy and a thin nail art brush. I filled in the people using Glam Nails nail art pen in Snow White.


For the black and gold nails: I started with a base of Orly Liquid Vinyl. Then I took a Glam Nails nail art pen in Metallic Gold and drew the art deco style diamondy-triangles. I didn't think the finish was good enough so I took a thin nail art brush and Bloom Goldie and went over them.


For the index finger I wanted to feature the lacy sleeves on the arms. On the morning I did this manicure I just happened to see this video tutorial on rosey nails and thought the layered petals looked similar to the pattern on the sleeves. I painted the nail using Barry M Matt White and then I used Glam Nails nail art pen in Jet Black to draw the roses and the lines between them.


I had my doubts about this mani, espesh the tarot card nail, but I'm glad I gave it a go. Using nail art pens (or regular markers) really makes little details a lot easier!

Have a swell weekend ;)

14 comments:

  1. I love that cover of THE DIVINERS. I have yet to read the book, but it is for sure on my list for the year. I also LOVE your nails. You are amazing. My nails have definitely never looked so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is insanely detailed and impressive! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT. Your nails are a work of art! I really want to read the book now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I love all the nails, individually and in combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am absolutely astounded by this Mandee! Your nails are AMAZING! Love, love, love how well they match the book :) You are incredibly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren - I like it too, but I don't mind the US version either :)

    Tsana - thank you!

    Alexa - I think you'd really enjoy the book!

    UKNR - thanks!!

    Rey - thanks so much, hun!

    :D xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are amazing! That is the best Diviners cover. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mands! This is absolutely amazing - I adore that cover and your mani. It's just swell! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. My. Gosh. You've definitely raised the bar with this one. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow the detail in your work is incredible!! This is an amazing manicure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. agreed, your attention to detail is amazing - this is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Britt - I like the US version, but I LOVE this version!

    Michelle - thank you, hun!

    Magz - thanks! I keep comparing all my latest manis to this one and they all fall short

    Chentelle - thank you so much :)

    NinjaB - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are incredible and they are so amazingly detailed! I love the black and gold nails the most, would love to see them as a full set but I've never been competent at doing my nails anything but a single colour, though your posts make me really want to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing! Well done, you clever thing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox