Monday, 22 April 2013

Looking for Alaska



Hey hey! I've been a bit slack when it comes to posting manis lately, truth be told I haven't been loving the ones I've been doing since my Zigzag or Diviners manis. But, the one I have today is one I did a while back and forgot all about, so I figured it was time to share it.

The book is Looking for Alaska by John Green. I found this version at a book fair and I really like the vintage photo look. It immediately reminded me of manicures I'd seen where one colour outlines another, an outline manicure (aka a border manicure).

There are two ways of doing an outline mani: 1. Paint your nails with your chose outline colour, then paint inside that colour with your second colour or 2. Paint your nails with one colour and then take a small brush and your second colour and paint an outline around the first colour. I went with option one, I think it's easier and quicker.

I started with a base of Orly Liquid Vinyl and then followed up with Chi Chi Can't Buy My Love. Because I chose such a light colour I had to do three coats before the black stopped showing through.





I wasn't sure if I'd like this style as sometimes, depending on the colours, it can look like a mani where you've left paint around the edges of your nails/skin but I have to say I did look at my nails often while I was wearing this and it was a nice way of wearing a neutral nail polish, which I rarely do.

This is really easy nail art and it got me thinking about other easy ways to dress up your nails, so I'll have a post up on that soon!


9 comments:

  1. Really love this! I haven't seen that Looking for Alaska cover before but it is really pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that LFA cover! (And your nails are lovely as always.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to do a border manicure ever since Jenny Han posted a pic last year. My results didn't look like yours though. Haha. I love the colors and it fits perfectly with the book. Nice cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am too scared to try a border mani! haha. how does your other hand look? i know my left hand often looks amazing and my right just lets the whole thing down :)

    i like the cartoon nails that have been popular, which are similar to this (well, they do the whole border thing) like this one: http://www.topcoatit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CartoonNails-7-WLcopy.jpg

    anyway, i really like the cover for alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never tried this but it looks really cool on you. was it hard to paint inside the lines so to speak? and i haven't read this book just yet. woefully behind on my john green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all! :)

    Lucy - I'd never seen it til I found it a 2nd hand book fair

    Sarah - me too, it's got such a nice look to it

    Magz - I think this way is a lot easier, so if you haven't tried it, give it a go :)

    Nomes - for this one my other hands look ok, some manis my other hand looks rubbish! BUt this one was just like painting my nails a second time. I like those cartoon nails, too!

    Thuy - I went slowly and just had to fix it up a little, it's not perfect but I think this method is easier than drawing the outline on after

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox