Sunday, 3 March 2013

Welcome to The Bookish Manicurist!

This blog has been a while coming. I've always loved reading, especially YA, and I love painting my nails. A year ago I started painting my nails to match the books I read - what better way to combine my love of reading and nail art?

I've been thinking about starting a blog specifically for the nail art I do, so as not to clutter up my vegan food blog or my book review blog and here it is!

My adorable header was done by the very talented Amanda and my boyfriend organised the layout for me - though there are a few things that still need fixin'.

I'm going to do a few posts featuring the manicures I've already done and once I've caught up I'll be posting new ones as I do them.

Sometimes I'm inspired by the colours of the cover and other times it's a specific image that I want to feature in the manicure.

This is Slice by Stephen Herrick and while there isn't an entire slice of watermelon on the cover, I'd just purchased a green striper and wanted to have a go at watermelon nails. The pink is 2 coats of L.A Colors Color Craze Electric Charge, the green is L.A Colors Art Deco Striper in Bright green and the dots were done with Orly Liquid Vinyl (my favourite black polish) and a dotting tool.


This is A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink - there was just something about the combination of navy blue and gold and I decided to do my nails to match. The blue is 2 coats of Zoya Indigo and I taped off the nails and did the tips with E.l.f Golden Goddess.



This is Mercy by Rebecca Lim, although I didn't get much of the book in this shot. The base is 2 coats of Butter London Henley Regatta and the tips I taped off and did with Orly Liquid Vinyl.



This was one of my favourite books last year, A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty. I used 3 coats of Barry M Blue Moon for the base, then I free-handed a rainbow on the accent nail: Zoya Maura, Creamy, Dana, Orly Green Apple, Zoya Jancyn, Perrie and Yummy. Finally I added a coat of Orly Walk Down the Aisle.


Next up is Shadows by Paula Weston, for this one I just wanted to match the colours, so the base is Orly La Playa and I stamped Orly Lemonade over the top using Konad image plate M21


And lastly this is Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, a hilarious story, and I just had to do a mani to match the girl's bikini. The base is Australis Sweetpea and the dots are Zoya Snow White, done with a dotting tool.


Thanks for dropping by!


10 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Nail Blogosphere! I love the concept for your manicures, so original & fun. I look forward to following your work :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Stripers and dotting tools and stampers, oh my! See kids, books are fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chantelle - thank you so much :)

    Magz - <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - combining books and nails! Good luck with your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased to see this! I'm slowly getting better at painting my nails and I'd love to learn to do some more complicated stuff :)

    I'm so glad you've combined your two loves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. UKNailRunner - Thank you!

    Michelle - Hey hun! The more you do them, the better you'll get :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this! So happy you made this blog, I love your manicures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belle - thank you so much! I'm glad you like them :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so lovely! I was actually surprised to see A Corner of White pop up, as I'm in the middle of reading that book. Remind me that I should discuss with you when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alexa - I hope you're loving A Corner of White!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox